Fusion 360 Library Component for ESP8266 Huzzah

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
owendelong

Fusion 360 Library Component for ESP8266 Huzzah

Post by owendelong »

I use the ESP8266 Huzzah in a number of things. So far, I've just been hand placing pinheads, but it would be really awesome if Adafruit would provide not only the SCH/BRD files for it, but also provide it as a library component that can be "placed" in other schematics and boards.

I'll probably do it myself eventually if Adafruit doesn't, but I suspect you are much more adept with Eagle/Fusion and could bang it out in a relatively short time, while it will probably take me several hours to get it right.

Any assistance appreciated. Will post back here and submit as a PR against the GH repo if I get it done.

mikeysklar

Re: Fusion 360 Library Component for ESP8266 Huzzah

Post by mikeysklar »

Adafruit provides the Eagle SCH/PCB and Fusion 360 claims to easily import those files.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-huz ... /downloads
https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit-Hu ... eakout-PCB
You can easily transfer an EAGLE project to Fusion. Click the button in the data panel. In the Upload dialog choose Select files and select the schematic and/or board files from your computer or just drag and drop your files into the dialog.
https://assets.library.io/migrationGuid ... -EAGLE.pdf

owendelong

Post by owendelong »

I think you are misunderstanding my goal here.

Yes, I can easily import them as a design and build my own version of the Huzzah board from that.

However, what I want to do is use the Huzzah as a library component to place on another schematic/board in another design.

There's no way way to do that that I have been able to find.

Both Eagle and Fusion still distinguish between designs and libraries. Libraries contain components you can insert into designs. Electronic Designs, to the best of my knowledge, cannot be inserted into other Electronic designs as on-board components. (Though in Fusion mechanical designs, you can insert one design as a set of components in another design).

So the difficulty here (which would apply equally to Eagle or Fusion, really) is converting the Huzzah Design to a Huzzah Library Part. The files Adafruit currently supplies are the Schematic and Board parts of a Design. I'm asking for them to supply a Library Component as either in an update to the current Adafruit Library or as a separate library file (either would solve my problem). In fact, I'm fine with it either as a Fusion or as an Eagle Library as well.

Hope that clears up my request.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Thank you for the clarification.

You can create a library part from the existing schematic/board files that eagle provides. Eagle uses the term "design blocks" to achieve this abstraction level and not just import a bunch of individual parts from the existing design files.
Seems what you want to do is to conserve the totality of the schematic and the board layout into one entity such as a library. This can be done using design blocks. From the schematic editor click on File/Save as Design Block. This will select the entire schematic and board file as a Block. Now load the project you are working on and click on the icon Add a Design Block. You will have a list of blocks to select from, click on the block you created a few minutes ago from the Arduino Shield.
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/eagle-fo ... -p/7007483

owendelong

Post by owendelong »

A design block isn't really what is desired here. What is desired is a library part.

Yes, a design block can easily be created from the original schematic+board, but no, it's not really what is needed in this case.

owendelong

Post by owendelong »

Ended up making my own library part for it. May still need some revision, but here's what I came up with:

https://library.io/libraries/39984239-ESP8266_Huzzah

While it's not colorized, I think the physical shapes are roughly correct in the 3d Model and I have confidence that the schematic is correct. I think there is still some work to do on the duplicated pins (GND*3, V+*2), but I've been able to use the part in at least one design successfully. Hope others find it useful.

Adafruit is welcome to adopt the part and republish it, correct or improve it, etc. My hope is that it (or something like it) will eventually become part of one of the libraries Adafruit publishes.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”