TPL5110 and brownout

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
FredHelm

TPL5110 and brownout

Post by FredHelm »

Hey peeps,

I am using an ESP32-CAM and a TPL5110. It was not cycling, just "one-shotting". I asked someone via mail and he replied that it is maybe due to my power source asking me if it would brown out. And it does...
I used the FTDI programmer to supply it. Seems that this was wrong... Could someone tell me why it is browning out and how this effects the cycling? Or post some nice sources to read?
I will power it differently, but I would like to understand.
Thanks in advance

adafruit_support_mike

Re: TPL5110 and brownout

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

It depends on the load connected to the TPL5110.

The TPL5110 itself only uses a few microamps, and less than 100nA when sleeping. It would be hard to make that brown out with any power supply stronger than a midsized capacitor.. literally. When I did some characterization testing for the chip I had to run it from a 10uF capacitor to get measureable changes in voltage. Even then, it would run for days before the capacitor voltage finally dropped below 2V (the point where the TPL5110 browns out).

It's far more likely that the load you're controlling is trying to draw more current than an FTDI breakout can provide, and that's what's causing the brownouts.

FredHelm

Post by FredHelm »

Hi Mike, thank you for the answer I learned something.
It turned out that my problems where due to usable PINS of ESP32 Cam and a culture-clash for the turning directions of the trim-poti. I made posts about it. If you want to you can close this topic.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Glad to hear you found the problem and got things working. Happy hacking!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”