Octopus VJ

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
OctopusVJ

Octopus VJ

Post by OctopusVJ »

Hello, I am trying to make a device that allows an octupus to change sound or video with it's legs.
The octupus is in a local aquarium and it is bored.
The veterinarian said the enrichment is welcome but must be safe.
The salt water makes only titantium a good metal. Hard rubber and cure resins or plastics are good.
Octopi are smart and also strong...
they have been known to break a gopro or two.
So, I was thinking of an emulation of an analog synth, like a dial or two or some salty underwater unbreakable buttons or something. A friend said I might want to keep the electronics out of the tank and suggested a light sensor or color sensor or magnet sensor through the tank to a submerged analog dial or octopus toy. Like coloring the back of a rubber dog toy that rotates... and then sensing the colors with an Adafruit QT Py with a BH1750 Light Sensor - STEMMA QT / Qwiic or an AS7262 6-Channel Visible Light / Color Sensor Breakout or even a APDS9960 Proximity, Light, RGB, and Gesture Sensor .
My first question is what cords to I need to connect the QT Py to the sensor and the QT Py to my Mac USB-c Input (or do I need a midi interface)? A lot of connectors are not available so maybe let me know what I can buy to connect the sensor to the fruit to the VJ software?
The second question is more fun. What would you suggest as an interface to teach an octopus to VJ using ADAfruit? Im new to this but I have advisors but I thought to ask you too as I would like to place an order!
AdaM Z [email protected]

mikeysklar

Re: Octopus VJ

Post by mikeysklar »

This is a fun project idea.

You will need a USB-C data cable to connect the Qt Py to your mac.

The other sensors can be connected to the Qt Py via short STEMMA cables JST-SH 4-pin. Make sure the JST-SH on both ends.

The octopi are good problem solvers so I'd start with a "Simon" clone. Where they can observe a light pattern and play it back by cover light sensors in approximately the same location.

https://learn.adafruit.com/circuit-play ... mple-simon

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”