Trim poti directions of TLP5110 for germans (and maybe other non-americans)

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
FredHelm

Trim poti directions of TLP5110 for germans (and maybe other non-americans)

Post by FredHelm »

In the description of the TPL5110 trim pot is written: "all the way to the left is once-per-100ms an all the way to the right is once-every-2-hours."
(https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-tpl ... t/overview)

I was not able to make it work for two days until I found out that I thought it would be the other way around. It seems like Americans refer to the bottom part of the circle when they say "to the left" or "to the right". In Germany we refer to the upper part of the circle when we talk about turning directions.

It would be a fun survey if people from other countries would put here how they say this.
Hope that helped someone

edgjr

Re: Trim poti directions of TLP5110 for germans (and maybe other non-americans)

Post by edgjr »

I don't think your summary of language differences is accurate - I learned "righty-tighty, lefty-loosy" (clockwise/counter-clockwise), which implies "right from the top" as you described it. Note that I'm not actually looking at the product in question, just responding as a bit of a language nerd.

FredHelm

Post by FredHelm »

When I turn the poti to position 5 (clock) it has the shortest interval. When I turn it all the way via 12 (clock) to position 7 (clock) it has the longest interval.
So either my poti has the opposite distribution of resistors as the others or the words are used differently as I assumed (I do not know. It just made sense to me...) OR the directions got mixed up in the documentation on the website.

alpierce

Post by alpierce »

I remember having trouble with that same board. I think perhaps the directions were reversed. To me, being from the United States, I always find it amusing to figure out the shower handle direction when traveling to other countries. I qualify United States, since I now live in Mexico, which is also part of the Americas, although most persons in Europe tend to think of America as the United States. Also, in Mexico, if you refer to the EU people assume you mean Estados Unidos, or the United States. I think that If people traveled more and were exposed to other parts of the world we would understand each other better and there would be a lot less conflict. It’s a good day when your biggest problem is which way to turn a potentiometer. ;)

FredHelm

Post by FredHelm »

@alpierce, those are wise words and I apologize for my ignorance. I was in South America myself and swore I would not make the same mistake again. But obviously I did, thank you for the reminder.
Btw: Yes, traveling educates, but if you do it by plane please take responsibility and do it seldom (once a year is NOT seldom) and not too far as it really messes with our climate. Sorry to be the spoiler but I can't help myself.

alpierce

Post by alpierce »

Hmmm, interesting point. I’ll have to investigate that. I doubt we will see an end to air travel so I can only hope that future fuels and technologies will help. Otherwise Adafruit and pretty much any tech company, indeed technology itself will cease .

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”