Snake eyes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Ventrig

Snake eyes

Post by Ventrig »

I am working on a project using Adafruit Snake Eyes bonnet on a PI 2 with two tft displays. I am wondering how cpu intensive is the snake eyes program? I want to use the PI for other things, like playing sounds and monitoring a few sensors. Should I stick with the PI 2 as a dedicated system, or will adding other functions degrade the animation?

Thanks

mikeysklar

Re: Snake eyes

Post by mikeysklar »

You can run top and see how much cpu time the script is taking.

I find the Pi 2 is so slow that upgrading would always be a good idea should you have the ability to obtain a Pi 4.

Ventrig

Post by Ventrig »

Unfortunately I bought the RPI 2, because the documentation on the bonnet said the RPI 4 wasn't supported. I later found out that the documentation was outdated and the PI 4 is supported now. I do have a PI4 I was saving for another project; from what you replied maybe I should just upgrade the hardware.

I was planning on using omxplayer to from a c++ program to run in the background waiting to receive serial data. The program will respond by playing different wav or mp3 files based on commands the RPI receives via the serial port. The commands will be sent from an ESP32 controller.

I'll use top while it's running and see what's up.
Thanks.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

All the video and audio decoding going on in the background would definitely warrant a Pi4.

Ventrig

Post by Ventrig »

I ran some test and so far the RPI2 has handled the eyeballs and playing mp3 sounds triggered through the serial port. No lag, albeit the mp3s are very small, just sound effects.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Impressive.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”