Best way to keep header pins secure when soldering ...

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sealyon

Best way to keep header pins secure when soldering ...

Post by sealyon »

It seems that all the guides on Adafruit that talk about soldering header pins to controller boards, like feather and Pi Pico, talk about placing the headers into a breadboard first. Every time I try to do that the header pins don't stay in place and they become uneven as you try to push them into the breadboard. I generally just leave the headers resting in the breadboard holes and I don't try to push them all the way in to minimize this problem. But, of course, that means the board may not lay flush against the header pins without pressing down as you solder which can be difficult. Find it strange that in all the Adafruit guides that discuss soldering headers this problem is never mentioned nor do they give any hints on how to minimize these problems. What are others doing and how do you keep the pin movement from happening? Appreciate any guidance anyone can offer. Thanks.

dastels

Re: Best way to keep header pins secure when soldering ...

Post by dastels »

I've occasionally had this problem, but not often. The grab tension in the breadboard is usually not enough to prevent the pins from pushing in. Have you tried a different (maybe older) breadboard? Alternatively you could use a piece of perf board or permaproto with the sides supported to the header pins can drop through and have the plastic strip resting on the board.

Dave

sealyon

Post by sealyon »

Most of my breadboards are older and do have good tension but not what I'd consider overly tight. If I push the headers into any of my breadboards the pins definitely will shift and not stay aligned.

dastels

Post by dastels »

I find something rigid that I can use to push down on all the pins simultaneously. Either while inserting them into the breadboard, or more commonly after to even them out.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”