New i2s stereo speaker bonnet .. no audio

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
elljay

New i2s stereo speaker bonnet .. no audio

Post by elljay »

Did a fresh install of 64-bit Bullseye on a new Pi Zero 2W (including the update/upgrade) .. now trying to get a bonnet to play nice with it (hooked up to the Adafruit stereo speaker set). Followed the Fast Install instructions carefully, (also verified the various files indicated in the Detailed Install section), but no luck yet getting anything to happen with speaker-test .. just some assorted clicks/pops/static during boot. (Also tried connecting the bonnet up to a 3B+ I had, also running 64-bit Bullseye .. same result).

I'm looking thru the various related prior forum posts, but nothing has jumped out at me so far. If anyone has any words of wisdom on getting the bonnet to work with my hardware/OS configuration it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Larry

mikeysklar

Re: New i2s stereo speaker bonnet .. no audio

Post by mikeysklar »

Larry,

Try 32-bit Raspbian Bullseye Lite.

Didn’t the i2samp.sh script spit out a warning about 64-bit not being supported when you ran it?

elljay

Post by elljay »

Hi Mike -

Thanks for your response. No, no warning (that I recall) about 64-bit Bullseye not being supported in the script .. I'll check again. Was in the process of trying 32-bit Bullseye when I saw your feedback (no luck there either so far), but will give 32-Bit Lite a go next and see how that works out.

That said, I did think I might be making some progress when I came across this link, which suggested adding ..

Code: Select all

dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d,noaudio
.. to /boot/config.txt to disable the onboard driver. I was encouraged initially when I saw the HiFiBerry DAC now available in the Audio dropdown, and was able to run a speaker test. But success was short-lived as I was unable to repeat things (or continue to see the i2s audio device) on subsequent reboots. Haven't been able to recreate what I did .. or things are just very unstable or intermittent.

I'll give that 32-bit Bullseye Lite a shot and let you know how that goes.

Thank you again,
Larry

elljay

Post by elljay »

So, I did have the chance today to try out the bonnet with the Bullseye 32-bit Lite installation .. worked right off the bat .. no issues at all. (I did however get the generic "Support for your operating system is experimental" warning .. but this is actually the same as what was returned for other installations, 32 or 64-bit, Full or Lite. However, everything worked fine).

Just for completeness, I also tried the bonnet script on a 64-bit Bullseye Lite installation .. no problems there either. I do need to double check and verify things as I've been trying out a lot of different installations/combinations, but at the moment the short story would perhaps seem to be that the bonnet script is working fine on Lite installations, but not Full, for whatever reason.

Larry

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Larry,

Thank you for the summary and conclusion about the Lite Bullseye releases working whether 32 or 64 bit based.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”