Bluefruit Connect Android App Issues

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
realabsurdity

Bluefruit Connect Android App Issues

Post by realabsurdity »

Hello,

I am working with the bluefruit LE connect app to send sensor data from my phone to a circuit playground bluefruit. I have everything working to receive and interpret bytes in CircuitPython but I have found that the data rate is much slower than what is stated in the Bluefruit LE connect for iOS and Android guide. The guide indicates data should flow at a rate of 10Hz but I only see new bytes to read every 0.5 seconds.

There is a second issue also because I cannot open the UART screen in the app. When I tap the UART screen after connecting to my device the app simply closes.

The app version I am using is 3.4.0 for Android. My android version is Android 13 with the March 5 2023 security update.

It seems like both issues are just minor bugs and I am curious if someone can help fix it, or tell me where best to report it in GitHub so it might be fixed eventually.

Thanks,

Arnie

mikeysklar

Re: Bluefruit Connect Android App Issues

Post by mikeysklar »

Arnie,

We should probably focus on the UART portion of the Bluefruit LE Connect App not opening. That is a good way to move a lot of data fast between your Android device and your CPB. I checked the Android app github repo and saw some confirmation that UART was currently working correctly.

Can you post your code that you are running?

realabsurdity

Post by realabsurdity »

I reinstalled the app the the UART not opening issue is fixed after reinstall.

I also looked at the GitHub repo for the app and dig into the source code a bit in Android studio. I found a variable in the controller fragment that set the delay time between phone sensor data writes set to 500ms. When I changed it to 100ms and recompiled the code it worked as advertised sending phone sensor data at 10Hz. It worked fine even at higher rates like 50ms (20hz).

So right now I'm using a custom APK to install the app on my phone to get the data rate I need. I created a gihib issue for it too. It should be updated I think to use the 10hz that is advertised in the app and the guide for the app. 2hz is way too slow to use phone sensor data as a controller.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Nicely done, rebuilding the code and building your own version of the Android Bluefruit Connect LE v2 app that can run at 10Hz. Thank you for opening an issue on this.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wireless: WiFi and Bluetooth”