Which 'New Device' to select when using M5Stack devices

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
themusicman

Which 'New Device' to select when using M5Stack devices

Post by themusicman »

Hi All

I have previously used Adafruit IO with a dashboard to view data from my RPi PicoW board, but am now wondering if I am able to use any of the M5Stack devices (M5Stack, M5Core2, M5Atom, M5Stick) with AdafruitIO. When I try to make a start at a new dashboard, I am presented with a question asking which 'New Device' do I wish to use - and of course there are no M5 devices listed.

So, does this mean it isn't possible to use M5 devices with Adafruit IO, is there an alternate method, or do I select one of the ESP32 S3 boards?

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction please.

Thanks all.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Which 'New Device' to select when using M5Stack devices

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Adafruit.io doesn't care what microcontroller you use. It just wants to see the correct text-based data protocol.

Between the Arduino IDE and MicroPython, yoou should be able to get the basic IO code working.

themusicman

Post by themusicman »

Sure, but step 1 in the process is to select a “new device, none of which are any M5Stack boards. I have to select one, but which one. It wont allow me to continue without selecting a board. Oh, and I prefer to use native Arduino C++ not micropython.

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

When I try to make a start at a new dashboard, I am presented with a question asking which 'New Device' do I wish to use - and of course there are no M5 devices listed.
You can make a new dashboard without this by visiting io.adafruit.com/dashboards and clicking "New Dashboard". I do not know where you see this step on the site but am really interested. Could you please attach a screenshot?

For clarification, the "new device" and "devices" pages are for boards running the Adafruit WipperSnapper firmware.

If you are using Arduino, you can connect your device using Arduino/C++ and the Adafruit IO Arduino Library (or a MQTT library).

themusicman

Post by themusicman »

brubell wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:58 pm You can make a new dashboard without this by visiting io.adafruit.com/dashboards and clicking "New Dashboard". I do not know where you see this step on the site but am really interested. Could you please attach a screenshot?

For clarification, the "new device" and "devices" pages are for boards running the Adafruit WipperSnapper firmware.

If you are using Arduino, you can connect your device using Arduino/C++ and the Adafruit IO Arduino Library (or a MQTT library).
Many thanks for your helpful reply. Couple of things here... mainly down to ignorance on my part I think... !!

I can't specifically recall how I connected to the dashboard using my RPi previously, but I was using Python. This time I am using ESP32 devices, coding using VSCode in C++. I may have totally misunderstood how I connected my sensors to the dashboards, but I must have used MQTT etc to do so. it's just that I am sure I recall 'adding' a device somewhere, but I think age is finally catching up with me and I may not have. I will read the documentation again and re-familiarise myself with how to connect a device using MQTT etc. I can see now how to access previous dashboards and feeds etc, so I guess it is a question of using the required library in my code, and connecting to one of my feeds! So sorry for the confusion.

In any event, here's the screenshot I alluded to... many thanks for your helpful advice.

Screenshot 2023-04-04 at 09.35.16.png
Screenshot 2023-04-04 at 09.35.16.png (63.3 KiB) Viewed 109 times

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”