Didn't find PN53x board... Help

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
neomythica

Didn't find PN53x board... Help

Post by neomythica »

Hello. I am a complete novice to the NFC thing. I bought the PN532 shield because I want to make jewelry that will share contact info. (I am bad about carrying business cards with me.) I am using it with an Arduino Uno and I have downloaded Arduino IDE... So far all is great... but I keep getting that the board is not found. The power LED is on. I have soldered and resoldered my headers... I even changed the headers to longer ones just in case something was askew...
I will attach photos.
Please let me know what I may be doing wrong. Thank you so very much for your time and patience.
Blessings,
Margaret
Attachments
Power light on...
Power light on...
MBpower.jpg (408.32 KiB) Viewed 246 times
Soldering okay?
Soldering okay?
MBsolder.jpg (181.19 KiB) Viewed 246 times

mikeysklar

Re: Didn't find PN53x board... Help

Post by mikeysklar »

Thank you for providing pics.

The soldering looks good, but it is non traditional in that you soldered the opposite side of normal. Since you are using extended headers this should be a non-issue.
pn532.jpg
pn532.jpg (243.95 KiB) Viewed 238 times
Can you post or link to the the code you are running? This board can communicate multiple ways so it is probably a matter of setting SPI/I2C in the code and board jumpers. I2C is the default for the shield with an UNO so make sure your code is using I2C as well.

neomythica

Post by neomythica »

Thank you for letting me know about the I2C. I changed those settings and it now seems to find the board, but I'm getting "Hello" and the busy light stays on instead of going out when it's done uploading. And, when I test a tag with my phone, it says that it's still empty, so it's not writing at all.
Here's the link to where I got my code. https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit-PN532/
I really appreciate your time and help. Thank you very much.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Lots of example code to choose from in the library you are using. Let’s make sure the example code is compatible with your tag type.

What kind of tag do you have?

neomythica

Post by neomythica »

I have a few different tags. The one that I was trying to use is a Glass Ampoule RFID Tag, 12x2mm, 888 bytes user memory NXP NTAG216,ISO 14443A NDEF NFC memory chip. It's rather tiny, but I'm trying to make it work for a ring design. (I'm actually a jeweler trying to make a smart ring that isn't over an inch in diameter that resembles a BANNED band.)
The example that I was trying to use is- https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit-PN ... updatendef

Thank you, again, for your help.
Margaret

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Try starting with the read example for two reasons.

1) It is less complex. All you need to do is change it from SPI to I2C mode.

2) The write example code you were using might not be fully ntag216 compatible. I say that because of the comments at the beginning.
This example will wait for any NTAG203 or NTAG213 card or tag,
and will attempt to add or update an NDEF URI at the start of the
tag's memory.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”