Connect two Feather M0 Bluefruit LE

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Ial_Mazan12

Connect two Feather M0 Bluefruit LE

Post by Ial_Mazan12 »

Hi everibody!

Can the Feather M0 Bluefruit LE (2995) product be connected with another similar board being one of them the 'central' BLE device and the other the 'peripheral' one?

As far as I know, nRF51822 BLE chip can be configured as a 'S110' or 'S130' softdevice. The first one only admints the 'peripheral' role, while the other admits both 'central' and 'peripheral'.
It seems that they are configured as S110, aren't them? If not, how can I connect two of them?
My final intention is to connect 7 at the same time.

I found this video in witch how to configure it is explained.
Could it work if I make something similar using rectangular SWCLK and SWDIO pins at the bottom of the board?

Thank you!

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Connect two Feather M0 Bluefruit LE

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Those are only programmed to work as peripherals, so no, they can't connect to each other.

The nRF51822 module has the capacity to work as a central, but you'd need to reprogram its firmware and run a central software stack on the SAMD21 microcontroller. That's a lot of code, so you wouldn't have much RAM left to run anything else.

Ial_Mazan12

Post by Ial_Mazan12 »

Ok, thank you for the help!
I will try to get what I need by other way.

Thank you!

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

When you want two microcontrollers to talk to each other, it's almost always better to use packet radio than Bluetooth:

https://www.adafruit.com/?q=packet+radio&sort=BestMatch

It's a much simpler protocol that does what people actually want. Bluetooth has a lot of specific assumptions about how devices will interact.

gwalker

Post by gwalker »

Well, this answered a question I was about to post. I have been trying to get two (various) boards to connect over BLE without much success. The packet radio option sounds more hopeful, especially since I am not sure BLE would give the range I want. Thanks.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wireless: WiFi and Bluetooth”