Rasberry pico W - bricked????

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sydkahn

Rasberry pico W - bricked????

Post by sydkahn »

Got two of them - took a while to get used to the Circuit Python - got it installed. It was working yesterday - showed com3 and the directory.

today, when I plugged it in, got an unrecognized USB error - tried a number of USB cables / ports - nada

so I uninstalled it seeking it to be re-recognized - total fail - now I can't get it recognized at all

Is there a driver I need to re-install? is there a way to completely re-install the firmware using pins - like we used to do with the 328 chips years ago...

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Rasberry pico W - bricked????

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

If you were able to install CircuitPython before, then you don't need anything new in terms of drivers.

Can you still get into ROM bootloader mode? There's no reset button on the Pico, so it's a little awkward. Start with the Pico not plugged in. Then, while holding down the BOOTSEL button, plug in the Pico. Should get a folder named RPI-RP2.

This is the same process and folder you should have seen when installing CircuitPython.

If the RPI-RP2 folder is not showing up, please post photos of the current state of the hardware. Since the Pico has a ROM bootloader, it is nearly impossible to brick.

sydkahn

Post by sydkahn »

Curiouser and Curiouser ... I was setting up for a post here and took a pix of the Picos - just before posting I plugged in the unpinned one and VOILA it booted. I also saw a little flux residue pinned one - so I got out the 91% alcohol and did a little cleaning - after drying I did a test - still got the unrecognized USB port error - tried the un-pinned one and got the same error - same cable - same port - as before. Tried plugging in with boot button pressed on both poards - NADA...

So the un-pinned one is flaky - once the port doesn't recognize it nothing will get it to work with either pico... ('cept shutting down and walking away from the computer a while???)

Been doing electronics since 1969 - this one is a head-scratcher,,,
Attachments
two picos.jpg
two picos.jpg (250.25 KiB) Viewed 149 times

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

The one on the right could be damaged from usage or the residual soldering residue.

The one on the left looks generally OK. For these tests, are you trying to bring the board up in ROM bootloader mode? And that is not working consistently? If so, try other USB cables and a different PC and see if the issue continues.

sydkahn

Post by sydkahn »

Damage - I kind of disagree with that - I used a liquid flux I use all the time (kester) to make the soldering go easier. Soldering on pins should not cause any issues with the board. flux residue or cleaning it off should never cause issues with properly designed boards.

When It comes to damage from use - I was hoping that the chip has sufficient protection from plugging in a USB. That is the only component used so far with this board - never got to the point of even doing a blink type sketch.

So far the pico is off my device list - not reliable...

Would try any Adafruit designed feather products using this chip though - will be my next order ...

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”