Metro Mini V2 as keyboard

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
stupidFlanders

Metro Mini V2 as keyboard

Post by stupidFlanders »

Hi,
I ordered the Metro Mini V2 as an alternative to the Pro Trinket, as it is marked as outdated. According to the description, the Metro Mini in the Arduino IDE is compatible with using the Arduino Uno.

In my project, when triggering digital pin 0, I would like to send a keyboard shortcut via USB to the connected computer. To do this, I use the keyboard.h library from Arduino IDE.
If I have the code compiled for Arduino Leonardo, for example, everything is ok. But if I then switch to Uno so that the resulting code is compatible with the Metro Mini, the keyboard.h cannot be integrated.

There are various statements on the internet as to whether the Metro Mini V2 chipset can function as a keyboard or not. Can anyone in this forum tell me what is correct?

dastels

Re: Metro Mini V2 as keyboard

Post by dastels »

What do you mean by "cannot be integrated"? Are you getting errors?

The Leonardo uses a 32u4 MCU which has native USB capability, while the ATMega328 used in the MetroMini and UNO does not (they use a 32u4 as a serial-USB convertor). The upshot of that is that the UNO (or metromini) can't be a USB mouse or keyboard.

You'll need a board based on the 32u4 https://www.adafruit.com/search?q=32u4 or other MCU with native USB (the SAMD21 for example https://www.adafruit.com/search?q=M0).

Dave

stupidFlanders

Re: Metro Mini V2 as keyboard

Post by stupidFlanders »

Thanks. That was the definitive answer I was looking for.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Metro, Metro Express, and Grand Central Boards”