Can't find any networks

Adafruit cellular platform - SMS and IoT over celluar

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
davidvondle

Can't find any networks

Post by davidvondle »

I Bought a FONA and a ting sim card. Ting states that they cannot activate the module because they no longer service 3G. I had the same experience with AT&T.

Is there any way to use this module?

rskup

Re: Can't find any networks

Post by rskup »

Hi Dave,

Try US Mobile, works for me, read through this post for details (starts about half-way through the first page):

viewtopic.php?t=198427

Just fired up my FONA3G and sent/received both calls and texts as a check that it still works. Note this will all be happening in 2G EDGE mode, as T-Mobile is still running that network until April next year (US Mobile is an MVNO for T-Mobile). You do have the FONA3G yes? I'm not sure the FONA's with the 8xx series chips can do 2G EDGE.

Any questions let me know,
Rob

davidvondle

Post by davidvondle »

Thank you. I just got off the line with US mobile customer support. They say that this network is unsupported, it took some convincing for them to send me a SIM, and the rep told me that when the network sees my device it will show up as "unsupported" in their system and could get blocked at any time. I'll give it a shot and report back. This is still unfortunately a pretty temporary fix, but I guess if it work until April next year, that will be sufficient for now.

rskup

Post by rskup »

Hmmm, are they sending that same "Starter Kit" that was in the link in that post I referenced?? Hope so, because that kit has two sims in it, and you want the GSM sim in the kit, not the 5G/LTE sim. The GSM sim didn't need an I.M.E.I. number when I signed up after getting the kit, probably why it works.

btw, here's the link to keep tabs on T-Mobiles 2G shutdown date, see line after "Key Dates":
https://www.t-mobile.com/support/covera ... -evolution

It might also get extended once or twice, like it did for 3G.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “FONA”