All-in-One Bluetooth & RS-232 (and/or) RS-485 to TTL capabilities?

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Ech03

All-in-One Bluetooth & RS-232 (and/or) RS-485 to TTL capabilities?

Post by Ech03 »

Not having any luck and looking for recommendations / suggestions.

I'm looking for a single board solution with bluetooth capabilities and also has onboard RS232 and/or RS485 to TTL capabilities.

Trying to capture RS232 and/or RS485 output from robotics controller and make it available wirelessly (BT) to another device.

Ideally something similar to the Feather line of products (or at least that form factor price range).

adafruit_support_mike

Re: All-in-One Bluetooth & RS-232 (and/or) RS-485 to TTL capabilities?

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Strictly speaking, RS232 and RS485 are wiring standards. They identify connections and voltage levels, but don't say anything about the transport protocol that represents actual data. In most cases, both protocols use the UART/Serial protocol.

We don't have any dev boards with RS232 or RS485 transcievers.. officially they both use negative voltages.. but there are interface chips that work with standard microcontrollers. The SAMD21 family (used in our M0 dev boards) knows how to speak the RS485 protocol if you connect it to a chip that can handle the physical signals.

Ech03

Post by Ech03 »

Thanks Mike! Are u referring to a chip like a MAX3232?

That’s was my backup plan, but wanted to double check that I didn’t miss anything when looking at your boards if any of your boards had one built all ready. Thanks for confirm though!

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Ech03 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:31 am Thanks Mike! Are u referring to a chip like a MAX3232?
Or one of the many others, yeah.
Ech03 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:31 am wanted to double check that I didn’t miss anything when looking at your boards if any of your boards had one built all ready.
Checking is a good idea, but we don't have any dev boards ir breakouts for those transceivers. You'll need to roll a board of your own.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”