Neopixals staying red after pressing reset button

Play with it! Please tell us which board you're using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kimwerezak

Neopixals staying red after pressing reset button

Post by kimwerezak »

Hello,

I have a Circuit Playground express that is staying red after pressing the reset button. So it won't turn green and none of my devices (both Mac and Windows) will not recognize the plugged in device. Is there a quick fix? Unfortunately we are passed the 30 day return policy since this was purchased in advance for a youth camp.

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Neopixals staying red after pressing reset button

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

That is an indication of a USB issue. Most likely it's the USB cable. Double check the USB cable and make sure it is not charge only. Try using it with some other device and verify it can move data.

kimwerezak

Post by kimwerezak »

Thank you, I did try another cable and I'm getting the same result. Both cables work on another Circuit Playground express so it's not a cable issue.

kimwerezak

Post by kimwerezak »

adafruit_support_carter wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:44 pm That is an indication of a USB issue. Most likely it's the USB cable. Double check the USB cable and make sure it is not charge only. Try using it with some other device and verify it can move data.
I've tried another cable and another device. The Neopixels are staying red after pressing the reset. Could something be wrong with the usb port on the playground express?

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Has this CPX ever worked before? Or is it new and acting like this?

kimwerezak

Post by kimwerezak »

adafruit_support_carter wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:58 pm Has this CPX ever worked before? Or is it new and acting like this?
This one no. We purchased it awhile ago as a part of a base kit through Digikey but this is the first time it's been opened and connected to a device. We ordered 40+ of the CPX and this is the first to have this problem.

ericreed

Post by ericreed »

I am having a similar issue. perhaps with some more specifics.

I have two students with Mac Apple silicon computers and bluefruit devices. They both connected their boards and tried to get Circuit Python installed. When they reset the board (before copying the uf2 file) all neopixels turn green for a moment and then red. The small red pixel (data?) continuously fast-flashes red.

If I bring the board and their usb cable and dongle to my computer, I can reset the board no problem, all neopixels stay green.

I don't have another fresh bluefruit board, but I brought a CPE to their computer and it worked fine. I observed that the mac asks two questions (I think unique to Apple silicon) about connecting a keyboard and accessing the device, as soon as the adafruit device is plugged in. I am wondering if somehow some bad configuration got attached to the bluefruit board that is preventing them from connecting to the mac.

I appreciate any help you can offer!

Eric

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Circuit Playground Classic, Circuit Playground Express, Circuit Playground Bluefruit”