Disable the DS1307

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
blakebr

Disable the DS1307

Post by blakebr »

Hello,

Is there a way to disable the DS1307 on the Adafruit RGB Matrix HAT + RTC for Raspberry Pi - Mini Kit PID: 2345 other than removing it from the PCB? I want to use a DS3231 but there is an I2C address conflict.

What changes to the Adafruit RGB Matrix HAT + RTC for Raspberry Pi - Mini Kit PID: 2345 installation do I need to make to use the DS3231?

Why, you may ask? The DS1307 does not have alarm functions, the DS3231 has two.

Bruce

barshatriplee

Re: Disable the DS1307

Post by barshatriplee »

It is possible to disable the DS1307 on the Adafruit RGB Matrix HAT + RTC for Raspberry Pi without removing it from the PCB.

The DS1307 is connected to the Raspberry Pi via I2C interface, so one way to disable it is to disable the I2C interface on the Raspberry Pi. To do this, you can edit the /boot/config.txt file and add the following line:

makefile
Copy code
dtparam=i2c_arm=off
This will disable the I2C interface on the Raspberry Pi, which will prevent the DS1307 from being recognized by the system.

If you want to use the DS3231 instead of the DS1307, you will need to make some changes to the Adafruit RGB Matrix HAT + RTC for Raspberry Pi - Mini Kit PID: 2345 installation.

First, you will need to remove the DS1307 from the PCB and replace it with the DS3231. You will also need to make sure that the DS3231 is connected to the correct I2C pins on the Raspberry Pi.

Next, you will need to update the software on the Raspberry Pi to support the DS3231. This will involve installing the appropriate drivers and libraries for the DS3231, as well as updating any software that relies on the RTC to use the new device.

Finally, you will need to modify any scripts or programs that use the RTC to use the new I2C address for the DS3231.

blakebr

Re: Disable the DS1307

Post by blakebr »

barshatriplee,

Thank you for your reply. I think it may be easier than you describe. Removing the DS1307 and plugging in the device pictured below may be all that is needed. It directly plugs into the Raspberry Pi header, making for an easy install.

The I2C address is the same for both chips. 0x68
Address 0X00 through 0x06 are the same for both chips.
To install the DS3231 on a Raspberry Pi 2 or higher, the DS1307 driver is commonly used.

I was hoping the maker of the HAT would reply with a thumbs-up, thumbs-down, or alternate method. If you are the maker, your description is harder that I expected.

Bruce
Attachments
DS3231_moduleq11__61766.jpg
DS3231_moduleq11__61766.jpg (43.69 KiB) Viewed 94 times

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”