LCD TFT 3.5" sometimes all multi-colour pixels upon reset

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ayates

LCD TFT 3.5" sometimes all multi-colour pixels upon reset

Post by ayates »

I have a design using the Huzzah32 ESP32 and the 3.5" LCD TFT. Arduino core, SPI to LCD, TFT_eSPI library. In general this works perfectly over multiple units. However, in one environment I have observed a number of times, where on one unit on power-up the LCD blinks then just shows all multi-coloured pixels.

I haven't yet been able to reproduce on demand, nor see what state the ESP32 might be in.

However, I am wondering if for some reason this particular LCD is not fully resetting? As the documentation indicated the LCD reset itself on power up, and this worked just fine during development, I didn't connect the reset line from the LCD to a pin on the ESP32. I will be patching that in, and including it on the next rev of the board.

But I was wondering if this multi-colour pixel issue sounds like a reset issue to folk?

Thanks,

Allan.
Attachments
IMG_8525_tn.JPG
IMG_8525_tn.JPG (157.98 KiB) Viewed 53 times
IMG_8524_tn.JPG
IMG_8524_tn.JPG (226.29 KiB) Viewed 53 times

dastels

Re: LCD TFT 3.5" sometimes all multi-colour pixels upon reset

Post by dastels »

That was my first thought based on past experience.

Another approach if the MCU reset doesn't do it is to connect the display's reset to a output pin and reset the display "manually" when your code starts up.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”