Neopixel mini buttons, 90 degree connections

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
raysblog

Neopixel mini buttons, 90 degree connections

Post by raysblog »

Hello,

I have a project where I've soldered 22AWG wire to neopixel mini button PCBs. The project requires the neopixels be mounted such that the wires need to make a pretty tight 90 degree angle from the PCB. They're still functional, but I'm:

1. Worried about the long-term health of these wires/connections.

2. Wondering if there's a better way to have 90 degree connections to these mini buttons.

Thanks!

Franklin97355

Re: Neopixel mini buttons, 90 degree connections

Post by Franklin97355 »

What is your project and what is the environment you expect? Properly soldered wires should be strong enough to hold the pixels if it is not too rough.

raysblog

Post by raysblog »

It's a book nook with 22 gauge wire. Should not shift too much once everything is in place. I agree, the solder connections should hold, but the wire is so tiny that at the tight 90 degree angle, seems like it's going to fail at some point. Maybe I'm wrong. So, no better way? I see the 90 degree circuit board pins but I wouldn't have enough room for those.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

If you think it's too thin you might look at an 18GA solid copper. It should be sturdy enough.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”