Gemma no load.

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sailsailor

Gemma no load.

Post by sailsailor »

Built the BMO LED animation and am trying to load sketch using Arduino code. Followed instructions and did not load when plugging in the Gemma MO. Loaded matrix sketch then the animation sketch. Did nothing when plugged in. Pulse’s alternating red and green. When I look in sketchbook it shows both files, bmo.h and matrix.ino. If I click on matrix.ino to upload it fails telling me, compilation error: bmo.h: No such file or directory. If I click on bmo.h it tells me, Upload error: A programmer is required to upload. I’ve deleted all and started over a couple times. Thanks for any assistance you may provide this rookie.

Franklin97355

Re: Gemma no load.

Post by Franklin97355 »

Where did you get the programs? And what version of arduino are you using, do you have all the software and libraries updated? The errors are not associated with the hardware but the software that you are trying to compile.

sailsailor

Post by sailsailor »

Using Arduino 2.1.0 and have all the libraries reccomended. the code was copied and pasted directly from the online directions for the project.

sailsailor

Post by sailsailor »

Well upon further checking i have Gemma MO not v2 which is the code I was working with so I went into it further and in the process I have lost the bootloader. When I first connected and pressed the reset it came up recognized as circuitpy. I attempted to get back to beginning and now when I press the reset button I get nothing. Assuming I've lost the bootloader. Can anyone tell me how to return to a normal bootloader? I'm afraid I may have hosed this up. Trying to https://learn.adafruit.com/3d-printed-led-animation-bmo. Now getting a pink??? light steady on left and a blinking red/orange on right. Thanks for any help.

sailsailor

Post by sailsailor »

keep on trying????? Went back to Arduino IDE 2.1.0 and the bmo.h file compiled and uploaded to the Gemma MO, then tried the matrix.ino and it failed with C:\Users\\BANNED\Documents\Arduino\matrix.ino\matrix.ino\matrix.ino.ino:15:10: fatal error: avr/power.h: No such file or directory
15 | #include <avr/power.h>
| ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.

exit status 1

Compilation error: avr/power.h: No such file or directory
Not having much success finding it. Can anyone help, please.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

That file is written with the Gemma in mind and the Gemma has an avr processor rather than the M0. You will have to rewrite/modify the code a bit to make it run.

sailsailor

Post by sailsailor »

I think I've got just about enough knowledge to be dangerous to my projects. My understanding is that the Gemma MO utilizes circuit python, the v2 Gemma has the avr. So I am going with the circuit python, my thinking is that I've been confusing myself. Now I'm at the point where I've located the needed libraries and am trying to load them. Now having a problem loading the adafruit_circuitpython_ht16k33. When I try it says not enough space on circuit py. I think with all my mucking around I have excess files on it but not sure what I can get rid of. Should I just start over from scratch? If so how? Or what can I do away with?

sailsailor

Post by sailsailor »

Well I got built and functioning utilizing circuit python. Only issue now is the matrix displays horizontally not vertically. I used the 8x8 matrix bright white. Question is how do I manipulate the code to change from horizontal to vertical? Thanks for any help.

EdgarBoyd

Post by EdgarBoyd »

sailsailor wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:35 pm Built the BMO LED animation and am trying to load sketch using Arduino code. Followed instructions and did not load when plugging in the Gemma MO. Loaded matrix sketch then the animation sketch. Did nothing when plugged in. Pulse’s alternating red and green. When I look in sketchbook it shows both files, bmo.h and matrix.ino. If I click on matrix.ino to upload it fails telling me, compilation error: bmo.h: No such file or directory. If I click on bmo.h it tells me, Upload error: A programmer is required to upload. I’ve deleted all and started over a couple times. Thanks for any assistance you may provide this rookie.
Let's go through some troubleshooting steps to help resolve the problem:

Library Installation: Ensure that you have installed all the required libraries for the BMO LED animation. Check the instructions or documentation that came with the project to see if any specific libraries need to be installed. You can use the Arduino Library Manager to install libraries easily.

File Location: Make sure that the "bmo.h" file is in the correct location. It should be in the same directory/folder as the "matrix.ino" file. Double-check the file paths to ensure they are correct.

Verify Code: Open the "matrix.ino" sketch in the Arduino IDE and click on the "Verify" button (checkmark icon) to compile the code. Make sure there are no errors or warnings displayed in the output window. If there are any errors, review the code and resolve them before proceeding.

Programmer Selection: If you're using the Gemma MO, ensure that you have selected the correct programmer in the Arduino IDE. Go to the "Tools" menu, then "Programmer," and choose the appropriate programmer for your board.

Board Selection: Double-check that you have selected the correct board in the Arduino IDE. Go to the "Tools" menu, then "Board," and choose the Gemma MO or the compatible board you are using.

Connection and Port: Ensure that the Gemma MO is properly connected to your computer via USB. Check that the correct port is selected in the Arduino IDE under the "Tools" menu, then "Port."

Upload: Once you have gone through the previous steps, try uploading the "matrix.ino" sketch again. Click on the "Upload" button (right arrow icon) in the Arduino IDE. Monitor the output window for any error messages and check if the upload is successful.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”