QT-Py M0 NeoPixel library interfering with TC5?

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
lutzray

QT-Py M0 NeoPixel library interfering with TC5?

Post by lutzray »

Bonjour,

I'm a noob so I can't check the source to answer my question (I tried!).

I have a sketch running OK: it generates a sinus signal on the SAMD21 DAC pin A0, outputting tabulated values at regular intervals triggered by a TC5 interrupt; and at each second, I blink the onboard LED.

Everything runs smoothly on other boards (Feather M0 and Trinket M0, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mhznnQjukE) but my sinus is borked on the QT-Py.

When I comment out NeoPix lines, everything gets back to normal.

Why? And how can I fix it? Maybe I can fork the NeoPixel lib and tweak it for my usage? Or implement my own bit-bang to talk to the NeoPixel on pin 11 (PA18)? Here's the code for Feather/Trinket: https://git.sr.ht/~proflutz/SAMD21code/ ... cYears.ino

Merci pour tout indice!

lutzray

Re: QT-Py M0 NeoPixel library interfering with TC5?

Post by lutzray »

Well, I didn't dive into the bowels of Adafruit_NeoPixel but I read it is using ASM for tight timing... This is probably too much for me to chew on...

But Adafruit is publishing a DMA library for driving NeoPixels, maybe someone can indicate what SERCOM magick spell should I invoke to wire the SPI peripheral to QT-Py pin PA18 (where the on board WS2812B is soldered)? How should I modify this extract from their Adafruit_NeoPixel_ZeroDMA pins.h?

Code: Select all

#if defined(ADAFRUIT_QTPY_M0)
  // We can't use SERCOM0 because Serial1 uses it so that rules out TX/A6/D6.
  // That leaves 3 other possible SERCOM/pin combinations:
  //  * SERCOM1 + SDA/D4 (used for I2C)
  //  * SERCOM2 + MOSI/A10/D10 (used for SPI)
  //  * SERCOM3 + PIN_SPI1_MOSI/D16) (used for the SPI Flash chip that can be soldered 
  //    onto the bottom)
  // Since using those pins means giving up the associated peripheral,
  // and since I2C is featured prominently on the QT Py, it makes the most
  // sense to enable DMA Neopixels on the MOSI pins, though it means sacrificing
  // either SPI peripherals or the (optional) flash chip.  Sorry.
  &sercom2, SERCOM2, SERCOM2_DMAC_ID_TX, MOSI, SPI_PAD_2_SCK_3, PIO_SERCOM_ALT,
  &sercom3, SERCOM3, SERCOM3_DMAC_ID_TX,   16, SPI_PAD_0_SCK_1, PIO_SERCOM,
#endif  

lutzray

Post by lutzray »

It's me again. I'll investigate in this direction (if no information appears here): Using ATSAMD21 SERCOM for more SPI, I2C and Serial ports from Adafruit Learning series and from Sparkfun: Adding More SERCOM Ports for SAMD Boards. Digging further... Noob 1st badge: for the SAMD21E pin number is off by one from I/O Pin name :-)Image

lutzray

Post by lutzray »

lutzray wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:29 pm How should I modify this extract from their Adafruit_NeoPixel_ZeroDMA pins.h?
Well, This did the trick (thanks to additional info from StowLake.com). When adding the line

&sercom3, SERCOM3, SERCOM3_DMAC_ID_TX,   11, SPI_PAD_2_SCK_3, PIO_SERCOM_ALT,
in the #if defined(ADAFRUIT_QTPY_M0), I can drive the QT-Py on board NeoPixel with the Adafruit_NeoPixel_ZeroDMA library through pin 11 (I can haz my Arduino badge now?):

#define PIN        11
#define NUM_PIXELS 1

Adafruit_NeoPixel_ZeroDMA strip(NUM_PIXELS, PIN, NEO_GRB);

// edited from https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_NeoPixel_ZeroDMA/blob/master/examples/strandtest/strandtest.ino
Now let's see if my sine wave table Direct Digital Synthesis through TC5 and SAMD21 10 bits DAC is working again...

lutzray

Post by lutzray »

[RESOLVED] So, yes, the Adafruit_NeoPixel lib does interfere with my code (DDS on DAC pin A0 triggered by TC5) and the workaround (who does not like blinky boards?) is to use Adafruit_NeoPixel_ZeroDMA after editing ADAFRUIT_QTPY_M0 sercomTable[] entries in the file Adafruit_NeoPixel_ZeroDMA/pins.h to add " &sercom3, SERCOM3, SERCOM3_DMAC_ID_TX, 11, SPI_PAD_2_SCK_3, PIO_SERCOM_ALT, " (cf post above).

See for yourself:
  • My DAC output using Adafruit_NeoPixel, note the faint tone in the background between the beeps: buggy FSK audio.
  • The same sketch output using Adafruit_NeoPixel_ZeroDMA, note now the silence between the beeps: OK FSK audio.
Oh and it wasn't only the noise bewteen the beeps: the FSK modulation was completely off sync and borked. Maybe it's TC5 or something else that is incompatible with Adafruit_NeoPixel lib... Here's my code for a Feather M0 for those in the know: source hut repo.

Happy DMA blinking! Et un gros merci Adafruit for all the open sourced code.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”