Issues With Raspberry PinPico H

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
albert015

Issues With Raspberry PinPico H

Post by albert015 »

Recently I placed two orders with Adafruit. The invoice numbers are 3049030 and 3051248. I purchased 2 Pico H processors with each order. Of the 4 processors, 3 appear to be dead on arrival. Using the process outlined on Raspberrypi.com I was only able to install MicroPython on one single processor.

Also, the Adafruit Pi Box Plus I purchased is very fragile. One of the sides was broken by simply peeling off the protective paper. Please advise how we may proceed.

Franklin97355

Re: Issues With Raspberry PinPico H

Post by Franklin97355 »

How are you testing them and can you post a picture of the case along with the tag so we can investigate the problem?

macaiahnals

Post by macaiahnals »

I can suggest steps you could take to address your issues and have provided my advice below to address your specific query.

As Raspberry Pi Pico H processors are relatively new and may prove challenging to work with, any issues with multiple units could indicate something has gone amis in either their manufacturing process or shipping process - in either instance these problems would need to be investigated immediately before trying anything further.

Here are a few steps that could help:

Check Your Power Source: Make sure the Raspberry Pi Pico H processors have access to enough energy from their power supply; an ideal USB cable would support at least 5V/3A current flow.

Make sure all connections are secure and correctly attached, such as making sure the USB cable has been connected to its appropriate slot on Pico H.

Try switching out USB cables: Sometimes the issue lies within your cable itself - to narrow it down further try switching it out for one of a different type.

Use another computer: If your issue lies within your current machine, try switching computers in order to determine whether it lies elsewhere.

albert015

Post by albert015 »

First of all, than you for your response. I have already tried a few of the items you mentioned. I will certainly go back and try the others. One thing which may not have been clear is I had ordered a total of 4 Pico Hs from Adafruit. And coincidentally I received a Pico W from MagPi Magazine as a premium for a subscription the day I received the second order from Adafruit. I was able to get MicroPython installed on one Pico H from the first Adafruit order and the Pico W from MagPi. From that I concluded that I had a few bad chips. That may be a stretch, but it seems plausible.

albert015

Post by albert015 »

I have upped the ante a little bit. I purchased another 4 Pico Hs from Adafruit just in case they got a bad batch. I also purchased a new USB to micro USB cable, giving me a total of three. I went to one of the computer labs in the cybersecurity building at the university I attend. So I have now tried a total of eight Pico Hs and one Pico W in combination with three cables on three different computers in the lab. I followed this procedure from the Raspberry Pi website:

"Push and hold the BOOTSEL button and plug your Pico into the USB port of your Raspberry Pi or other computer. Release the BOOTSEL button after your Pico is connected.

It will mount as a Mass Storage Device called RPI-RP2.

Drag and drop the MicroPython UF2 file onto the RPI-RP2 volume. Your Pico will reboot. You are now running MicroPython.

You can access the REPL via USB Serial.

The Raspberry Pi Pico Python SDK book contains step-by-step instructions for connecting to your Pico and programming it in MicroPython using both the command line and the Thonny IDE."

I have been able to get exactly one Pico H and the Pico W to connect and get MicroPython loaded on them. Either I am doing something seriously wrong (which I doubt as the process can't be much simpler and two did connect.) Or Adafruit got a bad batch of Pico Hs.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

don't use the 'cyber security lab' computers, they probably have various security software that is stopping the drive from loading because every other student tries to hack the computers. use your home machine or laptop, as an admin.

the ROM bootloader is essentially unbrickable - and we've not seen folks not be able to get it working (as long as they have a good USB cable)

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”