Require RMA on 2x Reverse TFT s3

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
big_red_frog

Require RMA on 2x Reverse TFT s3

Post by big_red_frog »

I have been directed here by response to flagging broken devices against the orginal email order chain.

Not sure why I am sent to a forum to discuss replacements on failed device out of the packaging. Seems odd to be discussing in public order numbers etc for a private transaction, when the previous RMA was resolved quickly against the original email, but here goes.

I have received 6x Adafruit ESP32-S3 Reverse TFT Feather (4MB Flash, 2MB PSRAM, STEMMA QT)
[ID:5691] across two order numbers

1x in order 3064056-1916787552 which was for RMA 3058378 on a device with broken screen, delivered in a padded envelope
5x in order 3067488-4290362026 delivered in a larger cardboard box

All packaging good on receipt

Devices arrived on same day so all 6 were unpacked, and I can't tell if the broken screen was in the box or envelope.

I have tested all 6 devices for basic boot / bootloader

4 are good, show the expected sample display code and can switch over to drive mode with double press

1x has a broken screen again
1x does not light the display at all but the device gets much hotter than it should

Attached images show the broken screen on 1, and for the other where the screen looks physically fine but does not otherwise work, thermal images showing hot spots on the board.

I ALSO have a problem with one of the VL6180X boards, I have not got through testing them all yet, but 1 initially locked up after ~1 hour of measurement and now no longer enumerates on i2c so we the "no device on address" error at startup.

I have had VL6180X boards running for days stable, so I know they should be both reliable and when this address failure happens, something is compromised.

Switching between this bad board and a good one on all the same STEMMA-Q wiring is a simple and repeatable proof.
Attachments
S3 side, middle of board is hot
S3 side, middle of board is hot
img_thermal_1684090345742.jpg (44.75 KiB) Viewed 48 times
TFT side, end of display next to single button is hot
TFT side, end of display next to single button is hot
img_thermal_1684090332522.jpg (36.04 KiB) Viewed 48 times
broken display
broken display
20230514_144932.jpg (270.54 KiB) Viewed 48 times

mikeysklar

Re: Require RMA on 2x Reverse TFT s3

Post by mikeysklar »

Thank you for the detailed writeup.

This is your approval for two replacement Reverse TFT ESP32-S3 and one VLX6180X. You can write to [email protected] and provide them with this forum link as your RMA authorization. They will also need your order number (you do not need to share that with the forums).

big_red_frog

Re: Require RMA on 2x Reverse TFT s3

Post by big_red_frog »

Thanks for this.

Please note the very first caveat if being directed here was...

1) Tell us what product you are asking about, your Adafruit order number, and when you purchased the item

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”