M4 IDE loses port after upload

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
david84

M4 IDE loses port after upload

Post by david84 »

After uploading my sketch, all works fine, and the port is still OK since I can read the Serial output. But if I try after correction of the code, to upload another time the sketch, the board become red (two leds) and nothing happen, the upload fails, and the IDE loses the port. If the dotStar become again green, It does not work better. But sometime I can upload again and again 3 times... and it fails again.

The only sequence I found that works each time, is:
• to double click reset -> the board become two leds red
• wait that the dotstar become green that ca take sometime 5s or often 20s or more
• then press one time reset, and wait the port to be again reconized by the IDE, that takes not less than 15s, around 30s or often more...

ItsyBitsy M4 Express
I try on Arduino IDE 1.8.13 and 2.1.0 and have the same problem
original bootloader or adafruit-circuitpython-itsybitsy_m4_express-fr-8.0.5.uf2 does not change anything

I'm working on OSX 10.14.4 on a Hackintosh... thats can be the problem? Wrong config of USB port? But I work with other boards without any problem since 5 years on the same system...
It's very boring to develop with this constrain... somebody has an explanation? a trick?
Thanks !

david84

Re: M4 IDE loses port after upload

Post by david84 »

I've try with another ItsyBitsy M4 Express, and have exactly the same problem...

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Do you see the same behavior uploading a basic Blink example sketch?

david84

Post by david84 »

Hello, thanks for helping

Yes, I've try with the simple blink code on your "learn" tutorial:
https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... rduino-ide

Code: Select all

// the setup function runs once when you press reset or power the board
void setup() {
  // initialize digital pin 13 as an output.
  pinMode(13, OUTPUT);
}

// the loop function runs over and over again forever
void loop() {
  digitalWrite(13, HIGH);   // turn the LED on (HIGH is the voltage level)
  delay(1000);              // wait for a second
  digitalWrite(13, LOW);    // turn the LED off by making the voltage LOW
  delay(1000);              // wait for a second
}
And also with different simple and complex code. I didn't see any difference...

adafruit_support_carter

This seems like it's possibly related to the Itsy M4 using native USB. This guide tries to explain that, and why it cause COM port issues:
https://learn.adafruit.com/dude-where-s ... t/overview

What are the others boards that are working OK?

It *may* be the OSX 10.14.4 / Hackintosh combo. Do you have access to another PC you could test with? To see if it has the same behavior.

david84

Post by david84 »

After some days coding, I start to understand a part of the problem. I found a solution.

Usually, I code Teensy 3.5 on TeensyDuino 1.5.6 that is builded on Arduino IDE 1.8.19. To upload the sketch, TeensyDuino use a small program called "Teensy Loader".
When I start to work on ItsyBitsy M4, I launch Arduino IDE 1.8.13 expecting it wont interact with TeensyDuino. According to your "learn" page about ItsyBisty M4, I've installed the two Adafruit librairies "Arduino SAMD Boards (32-bits ARM Cortex-M0+) 1.8.13" and "Adafruit SAMD Boards 1.7.11".
But what I didn't knew is that all versions of Arduino IDE share configurations and librairies. So when I open TeensyDuino 1.5.6 I can see the Adafruit librairies installed from Arduino IDE 1.8.13... and the Teensy Loader does not works anymore correctly.
→ I observe the same loss of port with my Teensy on TeensyDuino, and the port reappearing after around 30s.

As I can imagine, there is a bad interaction between Teensy Loader and Adafruit SAMD Librairies. So inside TeensyDuino, I suppress the two Adafruit librairies for SAMD, and restart computer. Now my Teensy woks correctly with the Teensy Loader without losing port. I've uploaded on Teensy 10 different sketches without problem.

The problem is: I cannot use both boards at the same time.
There solution to code on Teensy is: install and uninstall SAMD librairies each time I want to swap coding on a board or the over...
😅
... as I don't know how to deactive Teensy Loader, I still have the problem when I want to code on ItsyBitsy...

david84

Post by david84 »

edit: grrrrmpffff... no I again have the problem with TeensyDuino losing port... even after rebooting many time the system.

david84

Post by david84 »

The "tools" menu of the IDE has changed after the board librairies installation. But it didn't come back as before with uninstall...
It seems that there is something, shared with all the IDE versions, that stay somewhere in a file or a folder. If I can find where, it will be possible to delete it and then re-install the IDE. Any idea where it can be?

adafruit_support_carter

There is a folder that requires manual deletion for a completely fresh re-install of the Arduino IDE. See discussion here:
https://forum.arduino.cc/t/uninstall-fo ... all/349503
On Mac OS X:
/Users/(username)/Library/Arduino15

On Windows:
Arduino IDE 1.6.5r5 and previous:
C:\Users(username)\AppData\Roaming\Arduino15
Arduino IDE 1.6.6 and later:
C:\Users(username)\AppData\Local\Arduino15

On Linux:
/home/(username)/.arduino15 (a.k.a. ~/.arduino15)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Itsy Bitsy Boards”