Best C Devel Env for new AVRs?

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bobgardner

Best C Devel Env for new AVRs?

Post by bobgardner »

I want to recompile some of my older mega328 c programs that were too slow at 16mhz and too small at 2k of ram and couldn't use standard baud rates above 115200 for one of the newish AVRs that run at 24Mhz, have fractional baudrates, bigger ram, more uarts, I2Cs spis, more bits in the ad and da, etc. These old programs I have were written in c, and compiled with the imagecraft ide which was easy to use: Just make a project, specify the avr number, add c files to the project and hit compile. It figured out which h files to use and what order to link all the lib files. Very easy to use, but no new updates for the newer avrs unfortunately. Is there a c compiler system that can do this? Google seems to think winavr is still the Best Practice, but are the h files and libc in GCC-AVR updates to the new faster better avr cores yet? Does Microchip MPLAB have a good c dev system for avrs? Does Visual Studio Code with Portable IO support new avrs? And lastly, could the Arduino IDE be configured/edited to have a menu item for straight c and stdio.h and libc.a instead of the arduino libraries? The arduino libraries are tightly tied to 16mhz clock. Writing new io libs for the new avrs would be a large overhead. Thanks for reading this Bill. Hope you can fill in the answers to some of my questions. I have many adafruit boards and they are great.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Best C Devel Env for new AVRs?

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Atmel Studio is still the strongest IDE for AVR chips.

If you were using another toolchain without the Arduino environment's convenience functions, your code was probably linking against the same SDK Atmel Studio uses. I can't make any promises about your code remaining compatible with newer versions of the SDK, but it can't hurt to try.

bobgardner

Re: Best C Devel Env for new AVRs?

Post by bobgardner »

Thanks for the reply. I started using the imagecraft hc11 and hc12 c compilers in 2000, then switched to the imagecraft avr c compilers in the early 2000s and have many c programs for our little avr boards with many avr parts and many versions of these programs for our products. They look like aircraft instruments, but the needles are run on sin-cos motors on pwm from the avrs, displays driven by the avrs, analog ins and outs, comms to the simulator host computer using every interface in the world, rs232, rs485, rs422, ethernet udp. I guess I could finally learn how the byzantine gcc avr c syntax works. I'd like to have a way to just compile a c program without using the arduino functions. These new microchips avrs are faster, have better ads, more ram and rom. Anybody else writing c
for avrs? What compiler do you use? Thanks.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”