I2C LCD disappearing act

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
edgjr

I2C LCD disappearing act

Post by edgjr »

I'm not even sure where to start, but I've attached a 3V to 5V Level Booster (PID: 5649) to a generic 16x2 LCD with an I2C backpack (I2C address 0x27). Here's where it gets odd:
  • Attached to RaspberryPi 3B+ (also has CRICKITHat) via the STEMMA Hat (PID: 4688) and worked great
  • Unplugged it from there to re-route wires and now it will not show up on the I2C bus (reboots, hardware resets, etc.)
  • Plugged the thing into a Raspberry Pi 4 with the v2 STEMMA Hat (PID: 5142) and it shows up
  • Swapping back and forth and using all 4 outlets on the V1 hat does not get the LCD to show up
Note that I can't use the V2 STEMMA with the CRICKIT since they overlap. I'm going to (sigh) teardown the 3B+ and try to eliminate the CRICKIT from the equation, but I thought I'd throw this out there in the mean time to see if clues might fall from the sky ...

barshatriplee

Re: I2C LCD disappearing act

Post by barshatriplee »

Plz verify id if I2C interface is enabled in your Raspberry Pi. Omit the CRICKIT Hat and test the setup again to see if the LCD module shows up on the I2C bus.

edgjr

Re: I2C LCD disappearing act

Post by edgjr »

Thanks, but that wasn't necessary - after resetting the CRICKIT (due to some other issues), the issue resolved itself.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”