General mounting question

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
eciramella

General mounting question

Post by eciramella »

Hi all -

If you have a feather, and a wing - and the plan is to mount them in a weather proof container (Adafruit sells a slew of them), you mount them on some kind of substrate first, then mount that to the inside of the weather proof container.

What do folks typically use? I have some cast acrylic I was going to CNC to fit precisely (and then use some stand offs and what not to mount the electronics to the acrylic), but I'm not sure if there's something else folks typically use.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: General mounting question

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

For 'quick & dirty' projects & prototypes, I'll sometimes just use double-sided foam tape. Some folks use hot-glue, but I find that to be as unreliable as it is sloppy.

For more permanent & professional builds, I'll mill a proper baseplate and mount things with screws. I usually use phenolic or polycarbonate. But acrylic works too.

millercommamatt

Post by millercommamatt »

I have a similar set up. My enclosure has a removable mounting plate inside. I drilled some holes in it and mounted my board using plastic standoffs. There's a power supply in there which is held down with small zip ties.

Sometimes the I'll screw or solder things to protoboard.

If I'm feeling really fancy, I'll spin up a custom PCB that's a purpose built mounting plate where I can just mount things like Feathers into female header strips.

eciramella

Post by eciramella »

This is one of those moments where I wish I had a 3d printer.

My cnc is used as an outfeed table for my cabinet saw, and has another project sitting on top of it right now.

Might just have to bandsaw some acrylic and get on with my life.

I do wish I had a sheet of something that didn't chip so much.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Acrylic polishes up real nice, but it can be a little fussy to work with. For general use, I like to keep a stock of 3mm polycarbonate in the shop.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”