Metro M4 problems, now even worse after bootloader update.

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
blnkjns

Metro M4 problems, now even worse after bootloader update.

Post by blnkjns »

I was running into many issues with the Metro M4 Express on the Arduino IDE Mac (1.8.19).
Basically every upload is a pokemon card draw: will it find the board, and if so, will it finish uploading to 100%. Roughly 60-70% chance it stops somewhere.
So I turned here, and saw the message for updating the bootloader. Now things seems even worse. I never see Metroboot again, and both Arduino and Processing can't see usbmodem:1441 again.
How to get things working again?

mikeysklar

Re: Metro M4 problems, now even worse after bootloader update.

Post by mikeysklar »

What OS are you running on your computer? Does the METROBOOT mount issue follow across other machines? USB ports, cables, etc?

Is there anything else plugged into your Metro M4?

If you are at a point where the METROBOOT will not come up at all and code fails to upload from the Arduino IDE then you will need to use a JTAG connector and programmer. If you don't have (I suspect you do) you can use a Raspberry Pi.

blnkjns

Post by blnkjns »

The issues are on OSX 10.14 and 10.11
After connecting the Neopixel is red, and the green led is on. If you tap the reset once, shortly the red and two yellow leds flash. If you double tap, both yelllow leds stay on and the red one blinks twice a second.

The whole programming device/raspberry pi stuff sounds way too complicated. I think I'll trash it and move Teensy 4. I have the idea that after the Circuitpython=first attitude got a thing here most boatloaders function less good as Arduino device.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Same behavior with METROBOOT not appearing with a double-reset press on a Pi or other non-MacOS system?

Is the USB device detected by the OS?

If you still have a serial port showing you can try the bossac tool.

blnkjns

Post by blnkjns »

The serial port is dead too, I used it to play the game via a Processing serial pass through of key-presses.
It is an unrecognised device for Windows. I asked a replacement from my seller.
For now I continued my project on a Feather RP2040, you can solder 2 female headers to the empty solder islands on the matrix shield to make it fit without further mods, making the shield both compatible with UNO-R3 layout boards and the feather.
Uploading code on the Feather is even worse than on the M4 before, unplugging every upload is a serious problem with the RP2040 chip IMO. I hope Adafruit can give bootloaders Teensy 4 reliability in the future. That one never stalls.

blnkjns

Post by blnkjns »

I managed to get a Segger J-link EDU. Can I reflash the M4 with that? Any guides?

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

The Debugging the SAMD21 with GDB is probably the closest guide to your setup.

There is also a little more jlink support built into the Arduino 2.x based IDE with their own guide using the same tools.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Metro, Metro Express, and Grand Central Boards”