n00b support for mic & speaker circuit

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
darkroastdan

n00b support for mic & speaker circuit

Post by darkroastdan »

Hey there,
I'm trying to wire up a circuit with a MAX4466 mic + preamp combo, a speaker amp, and a 3W 4 Ohm speaker. When I first switched on the circuit, I was greeted by a very loud, high-pitched chirping noise.

When I first hit the issue, I was using a PAM8302 for my speaker amp. Since I was worried that I broke the onboard trim pot (it could be turned indefinitely in either direction), I ordered a replacement as well as a second MAX4466 (to rule out damage to the initial unit) and a separate speaker amp (MAX98306). I also tried hooking up a 3.5mm TRS jack to the amp output and monitoring through headphones. I adjusted the gain using both the onboard trim pots and via the jumpers on the MAX98306. I also tried installing a 10K potentiometer (mostly so I could stop being deafened by the chirping). Unfortunately, with all of these various hardware configurations, the issue persists.

I can get the chirping to stop as long as I lower the gain on any part of the circuit (e.g., via the onboard trim pots on either the pre-amp or the speaker amp, and/or via the 10K pot), but at these levels, the resulting audio is quet and scratchy and I have to practically eat the mic just to hear any sound. As I increase the gain, the speaker hiss gets relatively loud and, after a point, the chirping will kick in. If I try to find a middle-ground between these two points, any input from the mic will start up another chirp-fest.

I have looked through some of the other posts here in the forums and it sounds like others have run into this before as well. Unless I missed a post, I haven't seen any solutions that resolve the issue. I have studied the product description pages, the data sheets, and some of the tutorials and it doesn't seem like I'm missing anything. My soldering skills are intermediate and I am relatively confident there are no cold solder joints.

I've attached a diagram of my circuit.
Here's a link to a video of the problem occurring.
Any help would be much appreciated!
Attachments
Amp.png
Amp.png (34.21 KiB) Viewed 71 times

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”