Moving from breadboard to wire lever nut

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
laffingskull

Moving from breadboard to wire lever nut

Post by laffingskull »

I've been working on this project for a while and just finalized my wiring using a 3x AA battery pack to a 5v minibooster powering an Uno Mini connected to two Dotstar Matrix, an EMC2102 and PVA030C05L 5v fan, and two push buttons. Testing this configuration with a breadboard and all components worked just fine.

Powersupply/Minibooster through VIN and GND, 5V out to breadboard to distribute power to other devices. When I go to replicate this using lever arm wire nuts, as I add and test, it eventually fails. With the Uno Mini to Dotstar using these nuts, it works but the minute I add in the EMC2101 only the Uno gets power. I am assuming this is the nut causing a significant voltage drop over several lines.

Said nuts are these guys
leverwirenut.jpg
leverwirenut.jpg (130.21 KiB) Viewed 65 times
Video of the circuit working with breadboard
https://vimeo.com/828082456?share=copy

Is there a better solution for this? Obviously the breadboard had no problem, so is there a more permanent distribution technique I can use to embed this circuit as a final project?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Moving from breadboard to wire lever nut

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

For permanent solution, the best option is to solder the connections. The PermaProto boards mimic the breadboard layout, simplifying the process of transferring your circuit.
https://www.adafruit.com/search?q=perma+proto

https://blog.adafruit.com/2023/05/18/mo ... d-circuit/

laffingskull

Post by laffingskull »

Thanks for the suggestion Bill!
I redid the set up using a small proto board and it works perfectly! The nut was the culprit.

I do have a side question on these protoboards. The hot and ground sides of the board are not all filled. I don't have a case that can fit inside this wearable I am using this for, but nothing should be touching it.

More to be safe, on the wires I've soldered I'm opting to insulate the joints further with small amounts of hot glue. The actual through holes that are extra I want to try to insulate or block. Would electrical tape an okay application here to cover these?

For reference, I've attached the inside of a wearable mask I am working on. The components themselves are secured using cases and milliput. It works quite well so far, just thinking of how to make this safer. At the very top is the protoboard. I want to cover any through holes that are not being used on the ground and hot lines. I know its a mess right now, I have not cut the wires to their final size yet.
Attachments
Mask_inside.jpg
Mask_inside.jpg (138.43 KiB) Viewed 38 times

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Common vinyl electrical tape should work. But the adhesive on that can get soft and shift if exposed to heat. A poyamide/Mylar tape (A.K.A. Kapton) is preferable for boards that might be exposed to more extreme conditions.

laffingskull

Post by laffingskull »

You're amazing Bill, thank you for all you do!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”