EdgeBadge Display loose

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
snapdoodle

EdgeBadge Display loose

Post by snapdoodle »

Aloha,

I recently purchased an EdgeBadge and have a couple of problems, one hardware the other software.

Hardware: The EdgeBadge seems to work fine (demo runs), but the display is loose and bright light pours from the underside, and display is at an angle. Lightly pressing does no good, and the display flickers a bit if tried. See picture below.

Software: can't find the Arduino TensorFlow library 1.15.0-ALPHA non-precompiled library

Curious if the demos can run on Arduino IDE 2.1.0 (current version)? Couldn't find the required libraries.

I also tried an older version (1.8.13) and got required boards (Arduino SAMD, Adafruit SAMD) and libraries (Arcada) added and the PYBADGE_TEST.uf2 loaded and working. Then tried loading the TensorFlow Libraries and got stuck again. The required library wasn't in the IDE Library Manager list.

I did eventually find a GitHub site https://github.com/tensorflow/tflite-mi ... o-examples that seemed to have the code, but it wasn't the ALPHA non-precompiled version and did give errors. Any idea where the non-precompiled version can be found?

Here's the loose display problem picture:
IMG_3313.jpg
IMG_3313.jpg (848.78 KiB) Viewed 135 times
thanks,

DM

snapdoodle

Re: EdgeBadge Display loose

Post by snapdoodle »

More info:

( maybe this thread should be split hardware / software ? )

was able to track down an archived version of the required library on the Arduino site:

https://downloads.arduino.cc/libraries/ ... -ALPHA.zip

and moved it into my library. Loaded up the hello_world demo, and it compiled, but then couldn't find the board to upload.....
Screen Shot 2023-05-28 at 3.23.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-05-28 at 3.23.55 PM.png (102.11 KiB) Viewed 128 times

Code: Select all

Arduino: 1.8.13 (Mac OS X), Board: "Adafruit pyBadge M4 Express (SAMD51), Enabled, 120 MHz (standard), Small (-Os) (standard), 50 MHz (standard), Arduino, Off"

Sketch uses 108576 bytes (21%) of program storage space. Maximum is 507904 bytes.
Couldn't find a Board on the selected port. Check that you have the correct port selected.  If it is correct, try pressing the board's reset button after initiating the upload.

Then I set the verbose flags in prefs and got a HUGE amount of info - I'll include later it if you like.... for now I'll just include the last part, which repeated until some limit was reached:

(lots of stuff that looks normal, looking for files, linking things, compiling, no errors)

Sketch uses 108576 bytes (21%) of program storage space. Maximum is 507904 bytes.
PORTS {/dev/cu.Alpha1_E12B-SerialPort, /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port, /dev/cu.LEGOHubExtra2-SerialPor, /dev/cu.SparkleMotiondalesbiseQ, /dev/tty.Alpha1_E12B-SerialPort, /dev/tty.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port, /dev/tty.LEGOHubExtra2-SerialPor, /dev/tty.SparkleMotiondalesbiseQ, } / {/dev/cu.Alpha1_E12B-SerialPort, /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port, /dev/cu.LEGOHubExtra2-SerialPor, /dev/cu.SparkleMotiondalesbiseQ, /dev/tty.Alpha1_E12B-SerialPort, /dev/tty.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port, /dev/tty.LEGOHubExtra2-SerialPor, /dev/tty.SparkleMotiondalesbiseQ, } => {}
PORTS {/dev/cu.Alpha1_E12B-SerialPort, /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port, /dev/cu.LEGOHubExtra2-SerialPor, /dev/cu.SparkleMotiondalesbiseQ, /dev/tty.Alpha1_E12B-SerialPort, /dev/tty.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port, /dev/tty.LEGOHubExtra2-SerialPor, /dev/tty.SparkleMotiondalesbiseQ, } / {/dev/cu.Alpha1_E12B-SerialPort, /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port, /dev/cu.LEGOHubExtra2-SerialPor, /dev/cu.SparkleMotiondalesbiseQ, /dev/tty.Alpha1_E12B-SerialPort, /dev/tty.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port, /dev/tty.LEGOHubExtra2-SerialPor, /dev/tty.SparkleMotiondalesbiseQ, } => {}

( lots of these retries... then, )

Couldn't find a Board on the selected port. Check that you have the correct port selected.  If it is correct, try pressing the board's reset button after initiating the upload.
I did try using reset at various points, nothing worked. I do see in the forums here that this type of problem occurs often, but so far, none of the solutions I've found works.

Will continue looking, but it's been a very long day trying to get this going.

Please understand I absolutely adore your company, everything Adafruit is doing for makers, the vast amounts of help and hints, well written examples, and most of all the skill and fun you're bringing to so many. Please don't take anything in my post to be anything less than appreciation.

Many thanks and mahalo for all you do.

d

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

For the display, can use glue to help secure it down. Same general idea as shown here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-hal ... shooting-2

For the software - are you following a guide? What's the demo that's trying to be run?

snapdoodle

Post by snapdoodle »

---> UPDATE: board stopped working. Black screen. Have tried multiple cables, ports, computers. Amber led still fast blinks, but no other activity. (power switch is still on, I checked, ha.)

See below for what led up to this. I was writing this post and double checking errors. Then board simply stopped responding at all. Unplugged, let it sit, rebooted computer, tried other cables, other computers. kaput.

- - - - - -

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm going through the example at https://learn.adafruit.com/tensorflow-l ... t/overview . I am currently at the beginning of the "" (third page of the learn series for this board.) The code is from the "hello world" demo of TensorFlow Lite, which is referenced in the first paragraph of that page.

Have tried multiple known good cables and different USB ports on this iMac.

Only seems to work with the updated UF2 file, but then only one time, if at all. After that, re-compiles either stop with SAM-BA errors (not sure what that is) or can't find the USB port.

- upload v3.13.0.uf2 <--- (TFL_SINE.uf2 partially compiles then looses USB, never has worked for me)
- compile code on Arduino IDE v1.8.13
- EdgeBadge screen goes black (example could use a hint that the only output is Arduino plotter)
- turn on Arduino plotter
- see sine-wave of sorts, yea! but....

First time after loading updated arcade_pybadge-v3.13.0.uf2 it sometimes works, outputting a very rough sine wave to the Arduino plotter. second time, gets a load error OR can't find USB port...

re-compile: usually gets some kind of error, but -might- work. Usually it's one of the ones below, but there are others where it will keep trying to load a library (not always the same), or lots of USB errors, but mostly it can't find the port and gives up.

... there's much more above this......
writeBuffer(scr_addr=0x20004034, dst_addr=0x11000, size=0x1000)
[===============               ] 51% (112/216 pages)write(addr=0x20004034,size=0x1000)
writeWord(addr=0x41004014,value=0x12000)
readByte(addr=0x41004012)=0x11
readByte(addr=0x41004013)=0xd
writeWord(addr=0x41004004,value=0xa501)
readByte(addr=0x41004012)=0x11
readByte(addr=0x41004013)=0xd
readByte(addr=0x41004010)=0x1
readByte(addr=0x41004011)=0
writeBuffer(scr_addr=0x20004034, dst_addr=0x12000, size=0x1000)
[================              ] 55% (120/216 pages)
SAM-BA operation failed
write(addr=0x20004034,size=0x1000)
An error occurred while uploading the sketch
or can't find the port:

... lots more above this that seems fine....
read(addr=0x1ec00,size=0x200)
[============================= ] 99% (215/216 pages)checksumBuffer(start_addr=0x1ee00, size=0xc0) = b029
read(addr=0x1ee00,size=0x200)
[==============================] 100% (216/216 pages)
Verify successful
Done in 2.756 seconds
writeWord(addr=0xe000ed0c,value=0x5fa0004)
Board at /dev/cu.usbmodem14101 is not available
Any suggestions? Do you know if these examples work with the current Arduino IDE?

mahalo for your time, it's very appreciated!

----> UPDATE: board stopped working. Black screen. Have tried multiple cables, ports, computers. Amber led still fast blinks, but no other activity. (power switch is still on, I checked, ha.)

adafruit_support_carter

Try manually getting into bootloader mode. Can you double press the reset button and get the BOOT folder to still show up?

snapdoodle

Post by snapdoodle »

it's bricked. won't go into any mode.

- plug in USB
- power led is dim amber
- hold START, double press back RESET, no response
- hold START, single press back RESET, no response
- try lots of other combinations, like holding while attaching cable, nothing. no change in LEDs / screen blank.
- tried other cables, other computers, nothing makes a difference.

bummer

adafruit_support_carter

The amber LED next to the USB connector is the battery charge indicator LED. It's behavior will depend on the state of the connected (or not connected) lipo battery. But if it's coming on at all, it does indicate that power is at least getting to the board.

The other LED next to the USB connector is red in color and is driven by the microcontroller. When in bootloader mode, it should pulse slowly.

Shouldn't need to hold START for bootloader. Just double press the RESET button on the back of the board.

snapdoodle

Post by snapdoodle »

no response to just holding RESET. Tried multiple times (just now) with various lengths of press, from quick to long (10 seconds)

I can hook up a scope if you'd suggest pins / points. can try to get a tiny video, maybe to text msg?

adafruit_support_carter

Don't hold it. Double press it. Like two single press/release actions back to back.

Like double clicking a mouse button.

snapdoodle

Post by snapdoodle »

well, yes, that's what I've done, repeatedly - yesterday I'd had it working multiple times, but the errors got worse each time. Was going into boot load mode whenever I wanted, so I do know that quick double press of RESET works (though I was holding down START also). And I've tried, as stated above, to do everything from quick presses (yes, just a tap or double tap) to long presses to see if that would do any good. I'll try again.

JUST RESET BUTTON, only amber LED lightly glowing, no other LEDs active, black screen

- quick SINGLE tap, fast as I can - no response
- quick DOUBLE tap, fast as I can - no response
- norm SINGLE tap, about as long as saying "tap" - no response
- norm DOUBLE tap, about as long as saying "tap" - no response
- long SINGLE tap, about as long as saying "ada" - no response
- long DOUBLE tap, about as long as saying "ada" - no response

- short single HOLD , about as long as saying "hold it" - no response
- short double HOLD , about as long as saying "hold it" - no response
- med single HOLD , about as long as saying "hold it right there" - no response
- med double HOLD , about as long as saying "hold it right there" - no response
- long single HOLD , about as long as saying "this is loads of fun" - no response
- long double HOLD , about as long as saying "this is loads of fun" - no response

there is simply no response from the board since yesterday's post where I was reporting errors (SAM-BA and loosing USB port and retrying while attempting to send compiled data chunks to board) .

snapdoodle

Post by snapdoodle »

ok, may have found a problem - tapping around on the board I found that if I pressed with force on the power switch, the amber battery LED would start flashing. If I kept pressure on the switch and pressed RESET, I would get the BOOT screen. AhHa. So doing lots of on/off flicking of the switch got it working again - then used a compressor to spray around the switch openings.

So seems to have been some grit or dust in the power switch. Now running compile on the Arduino IDE but still get errors.

... lots of these...
until it eventually says
if the power switch goes wonky again, is there anything else I can try other than replacing or wiring across it?

adafruit_support_carter

The switch behavior is weird. Good find, and would explain the behavior. For now, just keep using the board and let's see if the switch behaves OK or starts having issues again. And then we'll investigate that.

For the upload issues - double check both the COM port selection *and* the board selection in the Arduino IDE. Should be able to upload while in bootloader mode. Just good to double check the Arduino settings after it went into that mode, since they may have changed.

snapdoodle

Post by snapdoodle »

(( I'll try loading the Arduino IDE on another computer later, to see if things work better. This machine has always worked fine with any board I've attached, but I realize that is just history, not current events, ha. In any case, here's what is currently happening ))

Port doesn't change from before, during, or after as far as I can tell by watching the main IDE screen. From the errors, it looks like it's listing the available connected ports, and not finding it. This is on an iMac.

I do note that occasionally the port in the IDE tools menu isn't checked, though does show at the bottom right of the main window.

NOTE that sometimes the error occurs while IDE is actively uploading data to the board - it's mid transfer when the USB goes missing. Other times it can't find the port just after compile (lists all ports over and over then errors).
Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 8.32.07 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 8.32.07 AM.png (130.42 KiB) Viewed 84 times
Here's what Mac system info shows for USB:

PyBadge:

Product ID:	0x0033
  Vendor ID:	0x239a
  Version:	42.01
  Serial Number:	536EFCCC5346354B4D202020FF102D44
  Speed:	Up to 12 Mb/s
  Manufacturer:	Adafruit Industries
  Location ID:	0x14400000 / 20
  Current Available (mA):	500
  Current Required (mA):	500
  Extra Operating Current (mA):	0
  Media:
  Capacity:	8.2 MB (8,192,000 bytes)
  Removable Media:	Yes
  BSD Name:	disk4
  Logical Unit:	0
  Partition Map Type:	Unknown
  S.M.A.R.T. status:	Verified
  USB Interface:	2
and a pic below of what the Arduino IDE shows before (where it's checked),
Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 8.38.31 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 8.38.31 AM.png (202.52 KiB) Viewed 84 times
and immediately after getting THIS error...
Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 8.43.24 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 8.43.24 AM.png (80.56 KiB) Viewed 84 times
hmmm. can't add another image, but it's the same as the other Arduino IDE except the port, though listed and showing on the main Arduino IDE window at the bottom correctly, isn't checked.

After the above error, I tried running again with same error, then tried to check port via the IDE. Port didn't even show up. Then tried unplugging and re inserting USB on board, port showed up again.

Do you know if these examples, etc work on the current Arduino (v2) IDE ? I couldn't get it to work when first tried (the adafruit examples say to use the current version, but example images from the older one (v1).

adafruit_support_carter

I wonder if the power switch is still acting weird? Maybe it's cutting out randomly during upload. It looks like some amount of uploading was successful - up to 48%.

Arduino IDE 2.x *should* be OK. All the behind the scenes stuff should be the same (compiler, samba uploader, etc.)

How long ago was "recent" in terms of when this board was purchased?

snapdoodle

Post by snapdoodle »

Order #3068112-1148806874 May 9, 2023

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”