issue while Copying Files to Pico with Circuit Python Installed

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jmacwill

issue while Copying Files to Pico with Circuit Python Installed

Post by jmacwill »

Hi everyone

I have a problem that has been vexing me for a few days. I have a Raspberry Pi Pico that I have installed Circuit Python 8.1.0 on. I am running Pop OS 22.04.

When I try to copy libraries from my computer to the Pico, the only way I can do it is do it one file at a time. If I try to move the whole directory at once, only the first file is transferred, then it hangs. If I could diagnose in my terms it I would assume that the instance of circuit Python on the pico is reacting to the new file and rerunning it's code and thus not sending the acknowledgment to the file system to send the next file.

Realizing this may be the issue, I started up Mu Editor and put the Pico into REPL mode, hoping it would fix it. It does not change the behavior at all.

I am sure I am missing something simple - but I cannot find any mention of this behavior anywhere.

So, my question is:

Has anyone seen this behavior before?

How do you fix it?

Thanks in advance

Jonathan

mikeysklar

Re: issue while Copying Files to Pico with Circuit Python Installed

Post by mikeysklar »

There were issues with CircuitPython related to copying files, file size, speed and hangs.

The first thing to look at is your setup. Make sure nothing else is connected and you are using a quality short USB cable and USB port. If possible please show a photo of your setup.

The Mu Editor might be contributing to the hang. If possible try working without it open to copy files to see if the problem persists.

A work around was to disable supervisor reload in the REPL and then closed the REPL console which allowed for faster copying. There were fixes put in to avoid this, but I would be curious if it makes a difference for you.

If you have another machine (Ubuntu box, Pi, MacOS or whatever try it). I don't know anything about PopOS and it would be good to know if the problem follows the board or is tied to the OS.

jmacwill

Re: issue while Copying Files to Pico with Circuit Python Installed

Post by jmacwill »

Hi Mikeysklar

Thanks for the follow-up. So here is what I have done so far:

Tried with and without Mu Editor
I did try with and without REPL using Mu Editor
Tried with Thonny running
Did not try on a different version of Linux - I have converted fully to PopOS (a derivative of Ubuntu)
I did not try on Windoze - I just can't......please don't make me.....
I do not know how to turn off REPL without using Mu Editor

I did install Circup - and that solved my issue, it downloads and installs the latest libraries and totally solves the problem - it must be coded to stop that annoying restart of base code

So, I have a decent work around, but I would really like to know how to override the behavior so I can copy more than one file at a time!

Thanks for your thoughts!

If anyone else has any ideas, I would love to hear them!

Thanks

Jonathan

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”