Project Help for

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rafaelpk

Re: Project Help for

Post by rafaelpk »

One other question please. I have some twilio sim cards for global use. Can I use them with this board? Thanks again.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Not sure. I'll check with one of our Fona experts.

yorkshire

Post by yorkshire »

Hello AdaFruit, I have a few older (before 2023 2.8 inch capacitance touch displays that work great. These displays do not have "EYE SPI". Your newer display wiht "EYE SPI" I have problems with. Same PCB's and firmware on an Arduino Nano 33 IOT. I hope you can provide a solution to this since we are considering this display for production.

Perhaps I can buy 2.8 inch capacitive touch displays without "EYE SPI". This would be an ideal solution

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

@yorkshire: Please start a new thread for your issue.
rafaelpk wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 6:24 pm I have some twilio sim cards for global use. Can I use them with this board?
It depends on the kind of network the cards are authorized for. The basic FONA is a 2G device, and 2G support is thin these days.

Trying shouldn't hurt anything though.

rafaelpk

Post by rafaelpk »

Hello, as I said I am pretty much clueless. I have been reading and playing with the feather bluefruit le nrf52832 and the drv8833 and trying to figure out connecting them to the motor. I am following the instructions on https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-tb6 ... per-motors but they are for the the metro and I am trying to understand how that translates to the feather I am using. It says to connect to AIN2 to Digital 4, AIN1 to Digital 5, BIN1 to Digital 6, BIN2 to Digital 7 and I have it connected to A2, A3, A4, & A5 on my feather, which I think are digital ports. Can you please confirm for me that I have the right pins? Is there a diagram or guide specific to the drv8833 and the nrf52832? I am learning by experimenting, but I would like to know I am on the right track, and the pinouts for the metro and the nrf52832 are different enough so that I am confused how they match up. Thanks.

adafruit_support_bill

I am following the instructions on https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-tb6 ... per-motors
That guide is for the TB6612. If you are using a DRV8833, then you should be following the instructions here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-drv ... otor-usage
I have it connected to A2, A3, A4, & A5 on my feather, which I think are digital ports.
Those pins can work as analog or digital. You just need to edit the example code to match the pins that you are using.

rafaelpk

Post by rafaelpk »

Thanks for that info. I have reached the stage where is am installing circuitpython. I am instructed to "First make sure you are running the latest version of Adafruit CircuitPython for your board." and I visit the page with all the downloads for boards. I do not see my feather nrf52832 board on the list, and cannot find anything that seems close. Which version should I download please?

rafaelpk

Post by rafaelpk »

Is the Feather nRF52 Bluefruit LE - nRF52832 an older board? Is there a better board that I should be using with the same capabilities? All I see is the nrf52840 files and information. Is that a better choice? Thanks.

rafaelpk

Post by rafaelpk »

I read the article on the various feathers but feel more confused. There are so many. Since all I am doing is moving the micro stepper motor left or right with a phone via all 3, wifi, bluetooth and cell, which feather would be my best choice (size is a constraint)? I appreciate the help.

adafruit_support_bill

All of the Feather boards have the same footprint. There may be minor variations in thickness depending on the components installed on the board. For WiFi & Bluetooth on the same board, we have the Nordic nRF52832 and nRF32840 and the Espressif ESP8266 and ESP32 processors.

Questions on CircuitPython are best posted on the CircuitPython forum which is monitored by the CircuitPython team: viewforum.php?f=60

rafaelpk

Post by rafaelpk »

Hi,

I am working away at my project and feel like I have everything set up properly. I followed the guide on your site as best I can. The feather 52840 is loaded with circuitpython and the relevant lib drivers are installed for the stepper motor. The drv8833 driver has a1in connected to pin9 on the feather, the a2in to pin10, the b1in to 11, and the b2in to 12. The a and b out of the driver are connected to the stepper motor.

After I uploaded code.py with the code below, I got no response. How would I go about finding the problem please? I am using MUeditor and saving on to CIRCUITPY drive. I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but once I dropped the file adafruit-circuitpython-feather_nrf52840_express-en_US-8.1.0.uf2 on my feather drive, can I still use arduinoIDE? It always gives me a compatibility error with mismatched bootloaders. I am just using mueditor to edit and upload .py files. Thanks for any assistance.

#include <Stepper.h>

// change this to the number of steps on your motor
#define STEPS 200

// create an instance of the stepper class, specifying
// the number of steps of the motor and the pins it's
// attached to
Stepper stepper(STEPS, 9, 10, 11, 12);

void setup()
{
Serial.begin(9600);
Serial.println("Stepper test!");
// set the speed of the motor to 30 RPMs
stepper.setSpeed(60);
}

void loop()
{
Serial.println("Forward");
stepper.step(STEPS);
Serial.println("Backward");
stepper.step(-STEPS);
}

adafruit_support_bill

After I uploaded code.py with the code below, I got no response.
The code you posted is not Python. That is Arduino code.

rafaelpk

Post by rafaelpk »

Hi,

Forgive my ignorance, but I am following the instructions on https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-drv ... cuitpython. I have used MU editor to paste the exact code, compile it, and upload it. I don't get any compile errors.

Can you please tell me if I have the pins from the driver to the feather board correct? I'm looking at online instructions for the Feather MO but I have the feather_nrf52840_express. The drv8833 driver board has A1in connected to pin9 (D9, PO.26) on the Feather, the A2in to pin10(D10, PO.27), the B1in to D11, and the B2in to D12. Is there anything wrong with that setup?

Thanks.

adafruit_support_bill

I am following the instructions on https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-drv ... cuitpython. I have used MU editor to paste the exact code,
The code you posted above is not Python code and does not appear anywhere on that page. The Python code from that page is as below. And as it says in the comments: " If you use different pins, update the following code to use your chosen pins."
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-drv ... ge-3070892

Code: Select all

# SPDX-FileCopyrightText: 2021 ladyada for Adafruit Industries
# SPDX-License-Identifier: MIT

# Use this example for digital pin control of an H-bridge driver
# like a DRV8833, TB6612 or L298N.

import time
import board
import digitalio
from adafruit_motor import stepper

DELAY = 0.01
STEPS = 200

# You can use any available GPIO pin on both a microcontroller and a Raspberry Pi.
# The following pins are simply a suggestion. If you use different pins, update
# the following code to use your chosen pins.

# To use with CircuitPython and a microcontroller:
coils = (
    digitalio.DigitalInOut(board.D9),  # A1
    digitalio.DigitalInOut(board.D10),  # A2
    digitalio.DigitalInOut(board.D11),  # B1
    digitalio.DigitalInOut(board.D12),  # B2
)

# To use with a Raspberry Pi:
# coils = (
#     digitalio.DigitalInOut(board.D19),  # A1
#     digitalio.DigitalInOut(board.D26),  # A2
#     digitalio.DigitalInOut(board.D20),  # B1
#     digitalio.DigitalInOut(board.D21),  # B2
# )

for coil in coils:
    coil.direction = digitalio.Direction.OUTPUT

motor = stepper.StepperMotor(coils[0], coils[1], coils[2], coils[3], microsteps=None)

for step in range(STEPS):
    motor.onestep()
    time.sleep(DELAY)

motor.onestep(direction=stepper.BACKWARD)
    time.sleep(DELAY)

motor.onestep(style=stepper.DOUBLE)
    time.sleep(DELAY)

motor.onestep(direction=stepper.BACKWARD, style=stepper.DOUBLE)
    time.sleep(DELAY)

motor.onestep(style=stepper.INTERLEAVE)
    time.sleep(DELAY)

motor.onestep(direction=stepper.BACKWARD, style=stepper.INTERLEAVE)
    time.sleep(DELAY)

motor.release()

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”