Can't install Circuit Python on my Micro:Bit

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dogolearn

Can't install Circuit Python on my Micro:Bit

Post by dogolearn »

I've downloaded the .hex file and I'm dragging and dropping it in explorer. I see a file transfer dialog. The drive never changes name to circuit python. I've tried switching to another previous version. Tried a different PC. I've tried all manner of pushing and double pushing the reset button to see if it would switch over to another drive name like boot something - no joy.

Is there some trick to flashing Circuit Python onto a Micro:Bit?

dastels

Re: Can't install Circuit Python on my Micro:Bit

Post by dastels »

Do you have Micro:bit or a Micro:bit v2? What is the drive named that you are copying to?

Dave

tannewt

Post by tannewt »

The micro:bit v2 doesn't connect the native USB to the USB plug so it will never show up as a CIRCUITPY drive.

You should be able to use File Glider, PyLeap or code.circuitpython.org from Chrome to connect wirelessly over bluetooth though.

dogolearn

Post by dogolearn »

So the micro:bit works so well via USB with MakeCode and python, but for conversion to Circuit Python, I can’t use that wired connection? Ok, sounds odd, but I’ll try that tonight? And how about afterward? Can I go back to a wired connection to program it in Circuit Python from Mu?

dastels

Post by dastels »

No. As Scott said, native USB isn't supported on the Micro:bit so it can't present a flash drive, i.e. CIRCUITPY.

Dave

dogolearn

Post by dogolearn »

Hi guys-

I now have Circuit Python on the Microbit. Attached is a screen shot of the file: boot_out.text and another screen cap showing the files on it. The both come from FileGlider running on my iPhone
Files on MicroBit.jpg
Files on MicroBit.jpg (46.1 KiB) Viewed 102 times
Circuit Python on Microbit .jpg
Circuit Python on Microbit .jpg (45.92 KiB) Viewed 102 times
It looks like a good start. I did this by dragging and dropping the CircuitPython hex file in windows file explorer, I think. Might also have been the web file utility. Since I was waiting for CircuitPy to show up as a drive when connected to USB, I'm not sure when it took hold.

So, now I'm ready to get to developing, but I don't know what development environment will work. can I develop in Mu? A web-based environment? Something will have to have a bluetooth download function right? I don't as yet know how to see the file folders from windows. Fileglider and pyleap are on the iPhone and Code.CircuitPython.org scans, but never sees the micro:bit.

I would really appreciate some more expert advice!!

dogolearn

Post by dogolearn »

My micro:bit has reverted. I’m not sure how. I was struggling to connect via Bluetooth to the circuit Python web dev environment. Now it can be seen as a usb thumb drive and I can talk to it via the web dev micro:bit site. Both make:code blocks mode and python. The Bluetooth connection via File glider is gone.

So, I am pretty frustrated. I think the circuit python site should have a complete, reliable install instruction

Circuit Python has drivers for the i2c LCD display and the I2C temp sensor that my project needs. So, I think I’ll stick with that, but now I need to choose another board.

dogolearn

Post by dogolearn »

(bump)
I'm not sure who all monitor's this forum, but I didn't really see a way to "ask the company". I really do want to ask the designers/programmers/vendors what SHOULD have been my experience with setting up Circuit Python on the Micro:Bit. My experience was pretty much a disaster and I think I followed the available instructions. If there were good instruction and I didn't find them, then I think they should be found more easily - say from the page where you download the Micro:bit version of Circuit Python.

So, could some of the product people like to comment? AdaFruit? CircuitPython? Micro:Bit?

I plan to stick with Circuit Python and switch to another board. I'm realy, really hopng for a better experience next time around. I'm mentoring a Middle school student on this project and I want him to have a good experience and go on to make other microcontroller/robotics projects.

Thanks,
Dave

dastels

Post by dastels »

From what I've seen, CircuitPython on Micro:bit seems a bit bothersome. If you like the ecosystem, have a look at the CLUE. Any of the SAMD51 or nRF52840 boards should give you a smooth, productive experience. If you want WiFi, an ESP32-(S2 or S3) will do well.

Dave

tannewt

Post by tannewt »

dogolearn wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 4:19 pm So, could some of the product people like to comment? AdaFruit? CircuitPython? Micro:Bit?
You are talking to those folks. I'm the lead for CircuitPython for Adafruit.

The micro:bit v2 wasn't designed for CircuitPython and you're experiencing the consequence of that. (We have no control over that.) Usually the native USB "CIRCUITPY" workflow is best but the micro:bit v2 design makes that impossible. The Adafruit Clue was designed with CircuitPython in mind and will have a better experience. Unfortunately, it is out of stock at Adafruit and Digikey. Other Adafruit boards will work well with CircuitPython and we're happy to help decide what is best for what you'd like to do.

We hope the BLE workflow is a good experience for folks to program wirelessly. However, it is still in its early stages. USB is the best experience for now.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”