+5v->10v charge doubling charge pump bigger than sot-23?

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
vputz

+5v->10v charge doubling charge pump bigger than sot-23?

Post by vputz »

Long ago (viewtopic.php?p=579245&hilit=tc1240#p579245) I asked for a charge doubling charge pump pushing about 5v->10v for a project needing to provide extra voltage to a 9-pin serial device that needed the extra juice (the Orbotron 9000, for the old Spaceorb 360, still going!). Thanks to that advice we've made a bunch using the tc1240a.

But... I'm an old man :) so I handed off construction to my wife, and the #1 source of build failure is that little sot-23 chip (I can't convince her that stencils and reflow are the way to go, maybe because of my clumsy methods, so she assembles them by hand, and sot-23 solder bridges are her bane).

Is there a bigger part, like in sot-89 or sot-223 or something, that would work as well? I've done some searching and maybe I'm looking for the wrong things, but I can't quite find what I'm looking for. Just trying to convert 5v to 10v and ... ok, not sure exactly what current/power I need but it's not much; the tc1240a has been doing the job.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: +5v->10v charge doubling charge pump bigger than sot-23?

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

There are plenty of charge pump voltage doublers out there:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/fil ... hx2NCxkcqA

You can check the packages to see what looks most attractive.

Another option is to rework any solder bridges on the existing parts. Flux the joints well, lay a piece of solder wick on the pads, then heat the wick to draw excess solder away from the chip. It's pretty easy to clean up ugly joints once you've done it a couple of times.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”