Feather M0 not found / no COM port created

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Sane

Feather M0 not found / no COM port created

Post by Sane »

I'm working with a brand new Feather M0 with no attachments. Upon plugging it into my Windows 11 PC, there is no detected device. Of course, in the Arduino IDE, there's also no way to access the device or upload to it.

Things I've done/checked already:

1. The USB cable used to connect to the device works properly when connected to other microcontroller devices - it is not a charging cable.

2. I have the correct board libraries installed from the Arduino IDE Board Manager and the correct line added to the 'Preferences' tab, as per the installation instructions. These include the Arduino AVR, the Arduino SAMD, and the Adafruit SAMD packages.

3. I've read a bit about Windows 11 not having great support for COM port devices. I took a look at installing drivers manually using the Legacy Hardware feature of the device manager and, while I saw many options from Arduino as well as the Adafruit Circuit Playground, I didn't see the Feather M0. If such a package is available online, I haven't been able to find it.

4. The LEDs light as expected with the charge light tonically on and the red light blinking a bit. Double-tapping the reset button puts the red LED into the expected "Breathing" state, but the device remains inaccessible.

5. Following the FAQ, I selected 'Verbose' upload in my Preferences and attempted to upload the Blink script while resetting the device with a double-tap. This did not work, and I actually did not receive the verbose output at all - just "Failed uploading: no upload port provided."

Has anyone faced similar issues? I'm hoping this is my fault somehow - it is certainly cheaper and easier to learn something than to have to buy a replacement.

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Feather M0 not found / no COM port created

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Which specific Feather M0 do you have? There are several variants. Can you link to the product page?

Sane

Post by Sane »

Apologies:

More specifically, the board in question is the Feather M0 Adalogger (https://www.adafruit.com/product/2796).

However, I did find an odd workaround that I'll post here for posterity:

The problematic board was from a batch purchased a year or so ago but hadn't yet been used. All Feathers in that batch that I tested had the same issue.

When I plugged in a newly purchased board of the same type (at least, all apparent markings were identical as far as I could tell), the COM port populated. I was then able to go back and use any of the boards from the previous batch.

I tested this on two different computers and the behavior was the same for each.

So, certainly curious, but we're up and running.

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Hmm. That is curious. If it continues to work as expected, then all good. But if it acts up again, reply back here and we'll take another look.

All the stuff in your first post were the correct things to try.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”