Portable power source for fiber optic light source (e.g. 4169)

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
MadZhu

Portable power source for fiber optic light source (e.g. 4169)

Post by MadZhu »

Hi there,
I am a newbie attempting to replace El-wire in a project with the portable fiber optic light source (4169) + side light fiber optic tube (4163). I've read through quite a few forum conversations and guides but haven't been able to find the definitive answer of how to power this light source portably. My question is essentially the same as that posed in this thread (viewtopic.php?p=791528&hilit=fiber+opti ... ce#p791528). While the response to this thread suggested using battery holders which would need to be adapted to fit the JST-SM female connector that comes with the light source. All the battery packs listed are either JST-PH or 2.1mm plug.

Is the answer that I need to either strip off the JST-SM connector that came with the light source and replace it with a JST-PH so that it can plug into a battery pack, or change the connector on the battery pack? How would one go about doing that?

And finally, I would really love for this to be rechargable instead of using a battery holder. Could this work with a LiPoly battery like 328 or 258? If so, how would I connect them (the LiPolys are JST-PH, not SM...)

Thank you!

Franklin97355

Re: Portable power source for fiber optic light source (e.g. 4169)

Post by Franklin97355 »

Most of the battery packs come with bare wires so you could use https://www.adafruit.com/product/2880 to connect them.
If you use NiMH batteries they will be rechargeable but you can't use any lipos we sell because they are 3.7volt only and we don't recommend chaining them.

MadZhu

Re: Portable power source for fiber optic light source (e.g. 4169)

Post by MadZhu »

Thanks! That's really helpful.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”