Choosing the best board for CircuitPython

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dogolearn

Choosing the best board for CircuitPython

Post by dogolearn »

Hi-

I want to start working with CircuitPython and I would like some help choosing the best board. I usually need a few digital and a few analog IO's and some I2C peripherals. I'm not usually sensitive to board size, cost or power. My primary motivation is a solid experience with setting up and programming the board in CircuitPython including drivers. Which board is used in Adafruit's lab to test every new peripheral and it's driver? A Workhorse. The "ol reliable". Everyone has this one in their cube (and at home in their garage). Wide, wide user base where someone else has already found and reported every bug. The one you would buy for projects with a midschooler - which I am.

Thanks in Advance!

Dave

dastels

Re: Choosing the best board for CircuitPython

Post by dastels »

There's no one "best board" but I've found that the GrandCentral M4 is a good platform. Loads of I/0, decent amount of memory (RAM and flash), good performance, and can use the AirLift shield if you want WiFi on it, and some other shields.

Feather M4 Express, Feather nRF52840, Feather RP2040, Feather ESP32-(S2 or S3) are all good depending on what capabilities you want. The feathers give you access to the ecosystem of FeatherWing add ons.

Dave

scott_42

Post by scott_42 »

TFT Feather with ESP32-S3 is a great all-in-one board for hobbyist to play around with (link below). Highlights for me are USB-C, WiFi, built-in color display, LiPo battery connector and charger, STEMMA connector for playing with all the various sensors and accessories.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/5483

dogolearn

Post by dogolearn »

Thanks for the ideas so far. The feather ESP32-S3 TFT looks like a great all-around board. I think it really looks like it will meet the needs of my current app. I'm struggling to get anything to work with the OLEDs - even the OLED featherwing, so having that installed natively sounds like a real relief. Also sounds new and lot of memory

dastels

Post by dastels »

Keep in mind that CircuitPython is RAM intensive. Both the Python code and the data it creates is stored in RAM.

Dave

tannewt

Post by tannewt »

Take a look at this Learn Guide too: https://learn.adafruit.com/choose-your- ... thon-board

dogolearn

Post by dogolearn »

I'm using a feather M4 express and it is working nicely.
This project will use CircuitPython, Mu, SSD1306 OLED, MCP9808 temp sensor, 2 button inputs, to outputs to relays. I don't think the feather will break a sweat.

I think that as I get used to CircuitPython, I will be more comfortable with changing boards to suit the application. I won't be using the micro;bit or the CircuitPlayground unless I use them with make:code for mentoring young people. they are terrific for that. circuitpython.org should consider dropping those boards or at least make very clear they should plan to use on-board peripherals only

I ordered some of the bad-ass boards mentioned above and I think I'll do a project on each whether they are over-kill or not.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. You folks are very generous with your time and I appreciate it!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”