Resources for making an app

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sebastienperth

Resources for making an app

Post by sebastienperth »

Hello, I would like to make my own bare-bones app to control microcontrollers through BLE.
I know about Bluefruit connect, and that there a lot of ways to create an app online.
I am just looking for a simple app, with a few buttons and labels for those buttons.
Any 'well used' resources would be appreciated.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Resources for making an app

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

There are two basic options:

1 - Use the standard toolset for the OS of your choice. Learn to build apps in general, then fill in the details for BLE using the source code for our Bluefruit Connect apps as a reference.

2 - Use a framework. Those streamline the process with pre-configured code for the low-level functionality, and usually have their own library of convenience functions/classes.

Option 1 has more front-loaded investment, but gives you the most robust code and transferrable knowledge. You have as much power to change the app's behavior as the SDK provides. And everything you learn can be carried over to every other app you build in the future.

Option 2 requires less effort up front, but gives you brittle code and almost no transferrable knowledge. Frameworks make a few common use cases simple, and simply don't support behavior that's more complicated. You don't learn what the hardware can do, and almost none of what you do learn is useful anywhere outside that framework.

Given that personal projects tend to evolve over time, there's a strong chance option 2 will lead you to a dead end. Option 1, while it does take more work to get started, will give you the best chance of long-term support as the code grows and changes.

languer

Re: Resources for making an app

Post by languer »

Google search for B4X BLE.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”