Global Shutter Camera - Fails to Enable ENOSPC

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
LokoManiac

Global Shutter Camera - Fails to Enable ENOSPC

Post by LokoManiac »

Order #3078284-9094437790

Pulled camera out of the box, plugged it into my RPi Zero 2, enabled legacy camera on Bullseye through raspi-config, rebooted. Opened terminal, raspistill -o image.jpg, and I get the following error message:

mmal: mmal_vc_component_enable: failed to enable component: ENOSPC
followed by "mmal: camera component couldn't be enabled.... failed to create camera component.... Please check for firmware update"

https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=232533
I went to the Raspberry Pi forums, and was recommended to check vcgencmd get_camera. I get "supported=1 detected=1, libcamera interfaces=0"

I went to /boot/config.txt, added start_debug=1, rebooted, ran raspistill again, and get messages of "cannot load camera driver".

I increased the graphical memory to 144 and tried again, with the same messages. I changed the memory to 200, same messages.

I pulled the SD card and installed Buster, followed the same aforementioned steps, and I get the same set of messages.

I get my Pi 3, repeat the same set of steps for both Bullseye and Buster.

I ran across this forum post, which is identical in issue; viewtopic.php?f=8&t=137677. No posted resolution.

No other software I have attempted to use to get an image from this camera works. All of my connections are fine, and I have only disconnected the camera while powered off. I have a V1.3 camera that works fine. No other HQ or GS camera to try.

mikeysklar

Re: Global Shutter Camera - Fails to Enable ENOSPC

Post by mikeysklar »

Thank you for the troubleshooting summary.

Do you know which ribbon connector you are using with the camera? The Pi Zero family uses a different ribbon than the full size Pi’s.
To use with a Pi Zero, you will need an adapter cable, which we stock here!

*Raspberry Pi Zero models require a Raspberry Pi Zero camera cable (sold separately) to connect.

LokoManiac

Post by LokoManiac »

I am using the recommended FPC cable for the Pi Zero that was linked on the GS Camera shop page.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Thank you for the ribbon clarification. Let’s try a replacement camera.

Please e-mail [email protected] to request a replacement. They will need a link to this forum thread as authorization and your order#.

LokoManiac

Post by LokoManiac »

Hello,

After a great deal of tinkering, I figured out the issue. I don't know exactly why, but I know how to make the camera work.

If I start from a fresh installation, go straight to using libcamera. The camera works and has no issues. Don't do anything in raspi-config to enable the legacy camera. When I do, I get the error messages that I got before. If I disable legacy camera, the error still persists. So just use libcamera and picamera2 with the HQ and Global Shutter cameras.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Thank you for this it will help others to avoid using the legacy camera settings and legacy tools like raspistill.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”