Cosplay help!! What sort of strips?

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
michaelmeissner

Re: Cosplay help!! What sort of strips?

Post by michaelmeissner »

Here are pictures of the latest version that has some flaws and I want to rework:
2023-01-23-00-49-003-steampunk.jpg
2023-01-23-00-49-003-steampunk.jpg (205.56 KiB) Viewed 61 times
2023-01-23-00-57-004-steampunk.jpg
2023-01-23-00-57-004-steampunk.jpg (188.04 KiB) Viewed 61 times
Here is a picture from last year's version with me fully kitted up. Note, the light up suspenders did not last between the time the picture was taken and I got to the event. I need to rework the battery setup. Also, the neopixel rings in the googles really could not be seen outdoors in sunlight:
2022-05-07-10-02-018-steampunk.jpg
2022-05-07-10-02-018-steampunk.jpg (79.13 KiB) Viewed 61 times

LaraEco

Post by LaraEco »

Also thank you again adafruit_support_bill, both of you contributors have solved so many issues I was having

Also Michael that camera looks amazing! I didn’t expect it to be so huge

michaelmeissner

Post by michaelmeissner »

In terms of camera size, it is due to various things.

I normally shoot micro 4/3rds cameras (currently OM Data Systems OM-1 and Olympus E-m5 mark III), and while they are smaller than so-called full frame cameras, they are fairly large. Previously, I shot with Olympus 4/3rds DSLR cameras (E-1, E-3, E-5), and these were somewhat bigger. Back when I built the camera around the E-3 and then later the E-5, it weighed in at 25 pounds. When I moved to micro 4/3rds, the weight of the full rig went down to about 15 pounds.

At the moment, I am putting the Olympus Stylus-1 into a pirate chest. The Stylus-1 is somewhat smaller than the micro 4/3rds cameras, and it has a lens built in.

For my usage, there are some rules of thumb I follow most of the time:
  • Some of the steampunk events in New England are set outdoors. Outdoors means rain, and we've had several events with various amounts of moisture from mist to downpour. So I prefer to use splash resistant cameras and lenses. The splash resistant cameras and lenses tend to be larger than some of the other cameras in the line up. Note, the Stylus-1 is NOT splash resistant, so it will only come out if rain is not imminent (and I will likely have a plastic bag just in case).
  • Some of the events are indoors, which means I need a fast lens and/or flash to capture things. There are combined events that have both outdoor parts and indoor parts, and I need to be able to go between the two without modifying the camera.
  • Over times I have upgraded the lens to faster lenses. However, since this is a hobby, I tend to not want to spend too much on a special lens mostly used for the steampunk box. The current lens I use (Sigma 16mm f/1.4) is fast for indoor settings and it is claimed to be splash resistant. However realistically, I don't believe it as splash resistant as Olympus/OM lenses, and one day my luck may run out. That being said, it cost me $340, compared to the other two options (Olympus 17mm f/1.2 at $1,200 and OM 20mm f/1.4 at $800). The Sigma does have one other benefit that is unique to the steampunk box -- it was designed for APC cameras, and so the lens is larger than other f/1.4 or f/1.8 lenses -- in the steampunk box, that is useful due to the bellows. On the other hand, I don't tend to take it out in my normal camera bag because it is big and heavy.
  • As I mentioned, I do have to worry about battery life. In the last several iterations, I've used cameras with battery grips which adds a second battery that make the unit taller. My current main camera for the steampunk box is the Olympus E-m1 mark II. For whatever reason, while Olympus did add external power support to the E-m1 mark II, it is only on the battery grip. So if I want to externally power the gear with a larger power bank, I need to include the battery grip.
  • As a matter of practicality, since I moved to using micro 4/3rds cameras in the steampunk box, I don't use my main cameras in the box (i.e. currently OM-1 and E-m5 mark III), but instead I use older cameras that typically are sitting around after I have done the upgrade dance. That way if something happens (like I fall down and break the gear), it won't mean I can't take regular pictures. Usually, I do have one or both of the cameras in a discrete shoulder bag just in case, I want/need to photograph something I can't with the steampunk camera.
  • Of course being a bigger unit, it draws people in, and I wind up talking to more people. Of course at the end of the day, my shoulders ache. I have a phrase I use when talking about using large props ("The thing we do for our art").
  • Over time, the addition of the mascots (stuffed finger puppets) also add to the bulk. I now have a few people that each time I display the unit ask what is new. Many years ago, I was the official photographer and videographer for some small renaissance faires. I normally would wear my usual renaissance gear, and I would carry the two squirrels (Nutso and Livenea) on the gear (but not the full steampunk getup). One day, I wasn't feeling ok, so I went to the faire in normal 20th/21st century garb to catch the photos and videos. Two of the daughters of one of the merchants came to me with long faces, saying where are the squirrels? I knew then, the squirrels had to come with me. So now, when I'm doing faires as a patron, the squirrels are mounted on my walking staff. I don't tend to have electronics and such for renaissance faires.
Unfortunately the market for compact cameras has disappeared. So there aren't any new options that would allow me to downsize from the micro 4/3rds gear that are fairly cheap. As I said, the Stylus-1 is smaller, but at this point it is almost a 10 year old camera and it isn't splash resistant.

I also have the Olympus TG-5. It is sort of phone shaped, so it is easier to disguise. It is even more splash/dust resistant than my Olympus/OM micro 4/3rds cameras. I've been thinking of ways to use it, but because the lens doesn't fold out, I can't attach a bellows which is part of the asthetic that I go for (my model is the large format cameras used as press cameras in the 1930s and 1940s such as the Speed Graphic).

The Panasonic FZ300 is splash resistant, but it is an 8 year old camera. The FZ300 is the same size as the micro 4/3rds cameras without their battery grip. Also, I dislike some of the choices Panasonic has made in terms of the way they capture the images.

The Sony RX100's are not splash resistant. The RX10's are, but they come at a high price. Also, I tend to prefer not to deal with Sony for a variety of reasons.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”