Device pairing

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
forum_questions_1

Device pairing

Post by forum_questions_1 »

Hi, I am having trouble connecting my V2 and S3 Feathers to the Bluefruit Connect app.
I have tried a few things that were recommended (including powering on/off, turning bluetooth on/off) but the Feathers do not show up in available devices.

I tried two types of Feathers and I also tried using iOS and Windows on separate devices to look for them. I can see other bluetooth devices (same devices listed on both iOS and Windows), but not the feathers.

Is there any code I have to load onto the feathers first to tell them to broadcast? Or do they broadcast automatically? (not sure if broadcast is the right word - what I mean is show they are available as devices)

These are the Feather models I have. Thanks for any ideas.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/5400
https://www.adafruit.com/product/5477

julieb42

Re: Device pairing

Post by julieb42 »

Clearing the Bluetooth cache usually does the trick for me. Instructions here:

https://learn.adafruit.com/bluefruit-le ... leshooting

forum_questions_1

Thank you for the idea. I tried it, and unfortunately, no dice.

I am getting the same result using iOS and a Windows PC (none of the feathers show up in the list), if that is any help.
Also, I am hoping to use the app on an iphone.

forum_questions_1

I have tried a few more things to make the connection.
To recap, I do not see the BLE advertisement on the Bluefruit Connect app on my iPhone from a V2 Feather or S3 Feather. Also, I am using Arduino. I think I forgot to mention that in my original post.

On the iPhone side, I cleared the cache using a couple of different methods. I also removed and reloaded the app.

With Arduino, I downloaded the Adafruit BluefruitLE nRF51 library and have been trying a few examples to see if they wake up the BLE advertising.

I also used the reset program to factory reset the Feather.

-Is the nRF51 library the one I should be using?
-Is there an Arduino example I can run to just check if advertising is happening?
-Could soldering have caused a problem? My soldering skills were beginner when I started using this board. I have not had any problems using other pins so far.
-Do I need some other hardware (other than the Feathers) to make the BLE connection? I've been assuming the Feathers do the BLE advertising, but maybe that is not correct.

If you have any other ideas for things to try, please let me know. Thank you!

forum_questions_1

I did some more work on this.

I am guessing the nRF51 library is for Feathers with the nordic hardware for BLE. I didn't know that nRF51 was a type of chip when I tried it before.

I was able to get my V2 Feather to advertise. I used an advertising function in another library. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the Bluefruit Connect menu. I thought the menu and controls resided in the app, but I saw a good amount of code with menu items when I looked back at the nRF51 library. Do you know if there is an Adafruit ESP32 library for Bluefruit Connect, or could I combine parts of the nRF51 one with another basic BLE library? Thank you.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wireless: WiFi and Bluetooth”