How to create new eyes for the teensy in the uncanny eyes project?

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Jvr98

How to create new eyes for the teensy in the uncanny eyes project?

Post by Jvr98 »

Hello,

I'm trying to create personalized eyes for my project, changing the shape of it, and I wanted to know how to do that. I think I have to generate images for the iris, sclera and lids and then use the tablegen.py to generate the hex file with those images. But I don't know if there is some software or something secific to generate those images and how should I change the tablegen.py file to accept images that are not 128x128, because I'm using a 240x240 screen and the eyes appear really small on the screen. I think this is because the image used was 128x128, and I wanted to use 240x240 images, but I don't really know if that was exactly the problem or if there was any other way to scale the eyes.

mikeysklar

Re: How to create new eyes for the teensy in the uncanny eyes project?

Post by mikeysklar »

The Teensy 3.2 the guide is based on had a memory limit of 256k. The examples sketches + images were 182K so not enough room to double up on resolution.

Following the Pi guide would allow you more customization and higher resolution.

Jvr98

Post by Jvr98 »

Ok, and in order to generate new images, should I be able to do it? Taking into account that the size is the same?

And about the size, in case using another microcontroller with more memory, should I be able to use bigger images?

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

On the Pi side the size can be customized using:

Code: Select all

python eyes.py --radius 240
You can generate new images on your Teensy 3.2 based uncanny eyes setup. The guide discusses the process. You will just need to be really careful with image sizes so that the code can fit.

If you were to use another microcontroller you can run the Uncanny_Eyes code on a M4 based processor like the Feather M4 which has 512kB flash. More here on the github repo.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”