Trinket M0 always boots up in bootloader

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
johnswenson1

Trinket M0 always boots up in bootloader

Post by johnswenson1 »

I've been using trinket M0s as debugging system for many complex boards I design, at least 20 so far. Using arduino for code and programming. The M0 always boots up in "run" mode (magenta LED), pressing the button once restarts the code, magenta LED. I have to press button twice to get into bootloader mode (green LED) to program. But today I loaded some new code and it never went to run mode, arduino gave all the usual messages. Pressing the button once flashes magenta for a few mili-seconds then right back to green.
I tried a different cable, exactly the same thing. It now powers up in green mode. I tried a trinket M0 not mounted on a board that had previously been loaded with code, exactly the same thing. again tried different cables. I tried a different computer that had never had a trinket M0 connected. I first downloaded the latest Adafdruit windows USB drivers. ( all the computers are running Win10 22H2). Again exactly the same thing, starts up in bootloader mode. I tried a brand new Trinket M0, straight out of packaging, again starts up in bootloader mode, button never pushed.
I've tried updating the driver, uninstalling and anything else I can think of.

I just tried another board with a trinket M0 already soldered on, that I had used for debugging a couple years ago, and it works perfectly!! All computers, all cables. Well to keep going I can unsolder that trinket M0 and solder it into the current board, but that is a pain in the neck.

So why do three trinket M0s all of the sudden stop working (including a brand new one) and one I had already used still mounted on its board, still work? This doesn't make any sense. The only time I've ever had anything like this was old GPS chips that had a week rollover all at the same time. I have a feeling that is might be USB driver issue, but then why does that one board work?

Any hints would be greatly appreciated, the trinket M0 is a pivotal part of bringing up new boards. I'm stuck right now.

Thanks,
John S.

mikeysklar

Re: Trinket M0 always boots up in bootloader

Post by mikeysklar »

John,

This is a interesting problem.

Two things to try:

1) Check the bootloaders on the different Trinket M0's? Are they all the same version? Is the older bootloader working better for you? Here is a link to the different releases for the SAMD21 and notes.

bootloader version - look at this file. v3.15 is current.

Code: Select all

TRINKETBOOT/INFO_UF2.TXT
2) On the newer boards that are going straight to bootloader instead of running the Arduino code do they show that same behavior with a basic blink program loaded or do they behave correctly?

johnswenson1

Post by johnswenson1 »

Problem solved: my arduino environment had some how been changed to a different board that used a SAMD21E processor with different memory sizes. Changing it back to Trinket M0 now works fine. I can't believe I didn't notice that.

Thanks for looking at this.

(red faced)
John S.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Thank you for the followup. I had assumed nothing had changed within the IDE settings.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”