Seesaw and interrupted writes causes board failures

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
edgjr

Seesaw and interrupted writes causes board failures

Post by edgjr »

I've got one of the new I2C->Neopixel driver boards (https://www.adafruit.com/product/5766) and I keep having to manually "reset" the board (unplug) when a write operation is interrupted. If I do not, the board-identification request comes back with unrecognized device codes. This makes starting/stopping applications a bit precarious and I'm worried that those STEMMA wires/connectors are going to break on me.

I have tried putting the Seesaw device constructor in a loop (wait until it doesn't fail), but that sometimes goes into an infinite loop.

Since there doesn't seem to be any interrupt breakout on the board, is there another software solution to reset?

danhalbert

Re: Seesaw and interrupted writes causes board failures

Post by danhalbert »

Could you post the simplest example with a recipe about how to cause the hang-up? We would want to look at this.

edgjr

Post by edgjr »

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/python3

import board
import adafruit_seesaw.neopixel as np
import adafruit_seesaw.seesaw
from rainbowio import colorwheel
from time import sleep

i2c = board.I2C()
seesaw = adafruit_seesaw.seesaw.Seesaw(i2c,0x60)
strip =  np.NeoPixel(seesaw, 15, 30)

while True:
    try:
        for color in range(255):
            for pixel in range(len(strip)):
                pixel_index = (pixel * 256 // len(strip)) + color * 5
                strip[pixel] = colorwheel(pixel_index & 255)
        strip.show()
        sleep(5)
    except Exception as e:
        print(e)
        break
Basically, run this and stop with ^C. Try to run again and the Seesaw typically fails with either a 0xC3 or 0xFF. Note that the interrupt has to occur in the "strip.show()" call.

danhalbert

Post by danhalbert »

What board are you running this code on? Is it an RPi using Blinka? If so, what version of Raspberry Pi OS are you using?

edgjr

Post by edgjr »

Oh, sorry - Raspberry Pi 4 (4Gb) running "bullseye" (I had just) realized that I had neglected that information.

Also, the I2C interface is via the SparkFun Qwiic pHAT v2.0 and I'm powering a 60 LED/meter / 0.5 Meter via the hat's 5v output. It works just fine - but it's kind of a PITA when I need to stop/start applications.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

yeah we could see how interrupting it would get it into a wierd state. but it shoudln't be too bad to 'fix' it - what if you 'try:' to re-init a few times? eventually you would 'clear' the i2c buffer and get back to normal state?

edgjr

Post by edgjr »

I put it into an infinite retry loop and got a little concerned when stuff scrolled off the monitor (so more than 100 tries?). I'll try to reproduce this again and keep track of the number of re-init it takes, up to 1024.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”