Macropad disconnects

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Calzor_Suzay

Macropad disconnects

Post by Calzor_Suzay »

Hi,

Newbie here to Adafruit and the Macropad RP2040
Have assembled the unit and all good.
I loaded the latest CircuitPython UF2 file all good and the little display says Done | 8.2.6
Press any key to enter the REPL. Use CTRL-D to reload.

A drive entitled CIRCUITPY appears then instantly vanishes then appears again for about 20 seconds then vanishes again.

During this time I can browse, can't read any files off it as they time out opening then the drive vanishes. I can't copy anything to it either. I'm trying to load the https://learn.adafruit.com/macropad-hotkeys as a starter then edit the code later.

If I double click the reset button I get the main drive back and can either nuke it or reload CircuitPython 8.2.6 but what I can't do is keep the CIRCUITPY drive attached to upload anything.
I can't seem to get into safe mode either.
MU seems to attach to initially then complains it got disconnected.

It's connected direct to PC and I've tried two different cables on two different ports to the PC.
In Disk management (Win11) I can see the the drive appear as FAT with 7mb appears then instantly vanishes then appears again for about 20 seconds then vanishes again.

Calzor_Suzay

Re: Macropad disconnects

Post by Calzor_Suzay »

Ok it's something to do with my PC as on my work laptop it connects and stays connected.
What though...

Have disabled Norton Auto-Protect and Smart Firewall with no change.

Calzor_Suzay

Post by Calzor_Suzay »

Also if I leave it in the mode where I have the RPI-RP2 drive it's fine and stays connected.
Is this an issue with the CircuitPython upload?

Calzor_Suzay

Post by Calzor_Suzay »

Tried the latest file (adafruit-circuitpython-adafruit_macropad_rp2040-en_GB-20231006-c9d7195.uf2) which the device reports as 9.0.0 alpha with same result.

Calzor_Suzay

Post by Calzor_Suzay »

Cracked it, well someone else did.
Found a random post via Google back to this site viewtopic.php?p=987596#p987596 where Supernoodles mentions Samsung Magician 8 which I have for two NVMe drives. Uninstalled and hey preso works :)

danhalbert

Post by danhalbert »

Glad you found the problem. I have added Samsung Magician to the list of problematic utility software:
https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-c ... ly-3004181

Calzor_Suzay

Post by Calzor_Suzay »

Further googling showed it to be an issue with 'Rapid Mode' but when checking neither of my Samsung NVMe drives even have this option to disable.
I need to keep the drives firmware up to date etc so came to a compromise by having the software installed but not running at start-up and the crucial part is to stop the SamsungMagicianSVC service in windows maybe even disabled (I have).

That way once every few months I can start the service (it instantly cuts the Macropad off), run the software, update the software and drives firmware if needed then stop the service after. Resetting the Macropad for it to work once again.

This ISN'T a Macropad RP2040 issue as there's lot of chit chat about Samsung Magician causing issues with removeable drives aka USB it seems.

SirAuron

Post by SirAuron »

Woah! This is why my QT PY RP2040 and my Pi Pico W (also RP2040) can't seem to work on my machine with CircuitPython but my ESP32 devices didn't have a problem; after stopping the service I'm able to get both working.

Unfortunate problem but at least this workaround is a huge benefit to my project!

bs617

Post by bs617 »

danhalbert wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:19 am Glad you found the problem. I have added Samsung Magician to the list of problematic utility software:
https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-c ... ly-3004181
Thanks! This helped me to figure out why my Pi Pico with Circuit Python suddenly stopped working after a fresh Windows install after changing my SDD to a Samsung. Without this I probably would have never figured out that the only change point (Magician installed because of Samsung drive) was causing this strange functionality.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”