Question about supplying 5v to XBee adapter

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
redsholdrd

Question about supplying 5v to XBee adapter

Post by redsholdrd »

Hello,
I have an adafruit XBee adapter (https://learn.adafruit.com/xbee-radios/wiring) and want to attach headers to the center rows on the breakout (which lay under the Xbee when it's inserted in the adapter) so I can access the Analog I/O pins on a breadboard. However, since I already have pins soldered into the simple header (which just has the power and RX/TX ports) which is perpendicular to the Analog I/O ports, I have to sit them off the side of the breadboard when using the center rows.

Can I still send 5v to the 5v pin in the strip under the XBee in the adapter?
I figure that it is also converted to 3v like the 5v pin in the simple breakout strip (the one along the edge of the adapter board), but a description at the product site says, "The breakout pins on the bottom of the board are not level shifted and you should try to keep data going directly into the XBee pins under 3.3V," and I just want to be sure I can power the XBee from the 5V pin on the bottom and not damage the XBee.
Thanks!
J

redsholdrd

Re: Question about supplying 5v to XBee adapter

Post by redsholdrd »

Hello again.
I haven't heard back, so I've been going ahead assuming that the center rows of male headers I soldered in (to access the analog i/os, etc.) also regulate the voltage just like the row of headers on the edge of the adapter (see pic of the bottom of my adapter to see the different rows of headers).

However, now the serial receive and sent (rx/tx) don't seem to work and the red LED (rssi) don't work when I sent it serial data ("Hello!") to the adapter from an Arduino. That data is to be sent to another XBee plugged in an Digitech Grove board and is being monitored in the XCTU program.

I also can't configure an XBee using the Ada adapter routed though the Arduino (rx->rx, tx->tx). XCTU sees that something is there, but can't get any info about the XBee. When I check both XBees on the digitech board it recognizes them, so I know they aren't fried. Plus the Arduino seems to be sending the serial data ok (I can see it's tx/rx indicator light flash).

This set up worked when I just had the edge row of headers soldered in. So I'm guessing that either the adapter serial doesn't work with both sets of headers attached, or I damaged the adapter when I was soldering it or wiring it otherwise (it's definitely not the best solder job, but I can't see any clear indication that it's damaged, no solder bridges, etc.).

Do you have any suggestions?
Please respond when you have a moment.

Thanks!
J
the two rows of headers (center ones and the row along the edge)
the two rows of headers (center ones and the row along the edge)
adafruit adapter pic2.jpg (832.5 KiB) Viewed 2324 times

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”