x0xi0 Full Kit - Install & Troubleshooting

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rubakpo

Re: x0xi0 Full Kit - Install & Troubleshooting

Post by rubakpo »

i de-solder every wires and i rebuild everything...2 days
same: no vco2, no sqaure, no saw,
no sound
no nothing
i just want to make some music with this machine....

rubakpo

Post by rubakpo »

ok
vco2 is not working...ok but vco1 works.
vcf works when i test it with oscilloscope. good waves.
but not the good sound in HP
i have that sound
http://rapidshare.com/files/454538060/XOXIO.mp3

what the f.. is wrong ??

rubakpo

Post by rubakpo »

YES
i have now some sounds...it was a bad contact with the black shield cable (VCA)... but i still have few problems.

vco2 still not working. I change Q404, Q402, Q403, C426, D402, D401, C1584 (i kill my old syntecno teebee !!!) , but i only have clicks.
there is some saw and square shapes when i probe Q405 and Q406, but it sound only clicks, varing with vr403; when i probe VR405(VCO1) and VR406(VCO2), it's like VCO2 shape are very 'slow' compare VCO1. Maybe it's a cv pb, i don't understand...
and i have some other pb, but...

maxtim

Post by maxtim »

it's like VCO2 shape are very 'slow' compare VCO1
VCO2 runs 1 octave below VCO1, so it will appear "slow"er on the same key.... so that is normal.
I wish I could offer more specific help on the other issues.

rubakpo

Post by rubakpo »

hi, i'm back....
i spent a lot of time to desolder X0xi0, and test again the x0X, and i found some problems and i resolved it.
i replug the x0Xi0 and now i have some sounds, but still some problems
- I still have vco2 problems (clicks), i will change all the parts and i will resolve it ...
- i have a strange problem, when i put default setting i have only clicks. When i put a jack inside VCF out, it works
- and finaly, i have filter warble in high frequencies
Last edited by rubakpo on Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

rubakpo

Post by rubakpo »

yes yes yes
i found the vco2 problem (3 weeks...)
it was C401. I replace it and it works....
now i have to fix the vcf problem

rubakpo

Post by rubakpo »

and i have a question :
i notice that when i desolder on C21 the wire from PAD K (and the 1k resistance), it works. When i resolder the wire, it clicks. I have continuous 5,4 V from PAD K. Is it normal ?
thanks

rubakpo

Post by rubakpo »

please , i'm stuck
should i leave R344 empty or should i place a 22k? It's not clear in the install manual.

rubakpo

Post by rubakpo »

hi everybody,
finaly, i completed today the x0Xi0 mod. Most of the difficulties came from myself, and lot's of mistakes in crucial places. But it s all over (almost...) and i can start to create some sounds with this fantastic mod... It was hard and long for me (and my wife), and now, let's make some acid tracks ... cheers

karajabola

Post by karajabola »

So, bcbox...

If I've got an x0xi0 full kit from about 2 years ago that I haven't installed yet (SN #103), do you recommend I use the documentation that was current then, or the latest documentation? (I don't know if your kit BOM or spec has changed since then, and am interested in avoiding as many problems as I can.)

FYI,

My current plan to to start with a completed x0xb0x, though I could go either way, since I'm building 2 (standard x0xb0x, and x0xb0x w/x0xi0)

Thanks!

tupinamba

Post by tupinamba »

Hi everyone,

I'm kinda stuck at the very beginning of the Xoxbox IO testing.
I started from a perfectly working home-built Xoxbox (x0xsh0p.de kit, thanks Christian!).
I can't make VCO1 (re)work.
All voltages correct (section 10, step 3)
Nothing on VR405 (pin 3) using the probe (although I'm pretty sure the probe is working fine as I get the noise signal on VR401...)
IC401 Pin 8 is ~ 12V
IC401 Pin 3 is ~5.3V

BUT

Cannot get the 2V / 3V on Pad 13 when switching from low C to high C on Keyboard mode. It was at first 0,67V, then (with no apparent reason) 4.61V, even after powering off/on multiple times...
Nothing on Random mode either.
The digital section seems to work OK though, as I can change the MIDI channel and launch a pattern in pattern mode.
Pad 13 and Pad 4 are well connected to the right resistors on the xoxbox mainboard.

Any help welcome ! This is a bit scarry...
Thanks in advance!

tupinamba

Post by tupinamba »

Also : is it normal that there is no resistance at all between IO mainboard Pad 24 (connected to D28 on x0xb0x mainboard, black wire) and IO mainboard Pad 25 (connected to IC11, pad 4 on x0xb0x mainboard, white wire)?
And : where to retest VCO1 on x0xb0x mainboard? I tried on IC11 pad 4 & 5 but nothing when I press keyboard : just silence...

tupinamba

Post by tupinamba »

Hi everyone,

Please help me if you have any advice, I'm really stuck here... :?

bcbox

Post by bcbox »

1) Since you have no CV reading at Pad13 it's not making it to that point. The CV goes to many places before finally getting to the VCO's!
a) check CV at R88/R89/R89 junction on mainboard. Put the x0xb0x in Keyboard and play notes manually or just play a pattern. It should be 2V for note C1, 3V for C2 etc.. This is the CV coming from the DAC. If ok go to next step.
b) check CV at Pad Y of the x0xi0 I/O Board. See the pic below. The CV Input goes from the DAC (R88/R89/R90) to the x0xi0 I/O PCB via pad Y. It goes to the switched connection of the CV in jack on the x0xi0 I/O Board so that the internal CV can be overridden by an external CV. If CV is ok at Pad Y go to next step.

c) check the CV at pad Z on the x0xi0 I/O Board. If ok go to next step.
d) next, the CV goes to the Slide Time control on the x0xi0 Top PCB! Check the CV at Pad Z on the x0xi0 Top PCB. If ok go to next step.
e) check the CV at Pad 27 on the x0xi0 Top PCB. This is the CV after the slide time control. If ok go to next step.
f) check the CV at Pin 5 of IC11 on the x0xb0x mainboard. This is the input of the slide buffer after the CV comes back from the slide time control. If ok go to next step.
g) check the CV at Pin 7 of IC11. This is the output of the slide buffer. If ok go to next step.
h) check the CV at Pad 5 on the x0xi0 top PCB. This is where the CV comes back again to the CV Width controls (TM5 & TM402).

2) Once you have CV working then test the VCO's again. Since the noise generator is working I think the problem is just the CV input not connected. If VCO1 and/or VCO2 still not working let me know.

tupinamba

Post by tupinamba »

Thanks for the debugging steps. Here is where we are :
First, the really weird thing : note pads do not seem to have any influence on any CV in keyboard mode.
But if I switch to pattern edit, I can play patterns which change CVs. I can even edit patterns : I built one pattern with 8 steps of C1 and 8 steps of C2 for conveniency.
So here is what I get playing this pattern slowly :
R88, 89 and 90, pad Y, pads Z : 1.8v for C1 and 2.7v for C2. Always.
Pad 27 : approx. half the voltage checked on previous pads.
Pin 5 of IC11 : same as pad 27.
Pin 7 of IC11 : nearly what is checked on pads Y and Z (about 0.03v less)
Pad 5 of x0xI0 top PCB : the same as pin 7 of IC11

EDIT

I was first testing IC12 instead of IC11... no wonder I got the wrong voltages!
Now CVs seem right (I changed the values above). But still nothing on VR405... I get something only when I turn XMOD up, in pattern play mode (still nothing in Keyboard mode...)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”