Polyphonic Midi to Control Voltage Converter

Posts about MIDIsense. open source MIDI sensor platform

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Jrichardson

Polyphonic Midi to Control Voltage Converter

Post by Jrichardson »

I saw the MIDIsense project and it reminded me of something I have been keeping my eyes out for. Unfortunately my knowledge level doesn't allow me to design it, so I was hoping someone had it cooked up already. What I am looking for is a MIDI to Control Voltage Converter that can produce polyphonic CV's and gates. Say, if i had a group of Synth modules and patched them to be a series of voices, I would like the converter to take the MIDI signal and assign like 8 key presses their own CV out. Is this something the MIDIsense could be configured to do, or is there something you are aware of that would work? Thanks -Jeff

vanceg

Re: Polyphonic Midi to Control Voltage Converter

Post by vanceg »

As far as I can tell (and I've been through it pretty thoroughly) you cannot. But if you are handy with doing your own homebrew stuff, you might use Limor's design as a good starting point.

You can probably use part of her firmware code to do the MIDI reception, and part of her circuit design for the MIDI circuit and power supply. You will need to add some D/A converters to the circuit to make it do what you want, and you will need to modify the firmware at a minimum. Also the app that runs on the computer will not do what you want it to do, so you may have to write your own version of that. But all the schematics and source code are available for you to work from. Good luck!

-Vance

P.S., Figuring out voice assignment is non-trival. Do you do assign a note to the least-recently-used voice, the most-recently-used voice, the closest voice (based on its last note), or the furthest voice? It will operate a lot differently depending on the algorithm if you have "glide" on.

Jrichardson

Re: Polyphonic Midi to Control Voltage Converter

Post by Jrichardson »

Thanks for the response. I have since found this: http://www.doepfer.de/MTV16.htm and it looks like it would work just fine.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MIDIsense”