No video/blinkenlights/etc

Talk about YBoxen, widgets, Propeller hacking, etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
minimicrite

No video/blinkenlights/etc

Post by minimicrite »

I purchased a YBox2 kit a bit over a year ago, and have just gotten around to putting it together. I'm at the point where you insert both the Propeller chip and EEPROM, and then plug it in to a monitor and check for the bootloader screen. At this point, I get nothing. I've tried three different displays, including one old 5" "dumb" B&W tv, and I don't have any video. I soldered on the LED and buzzer, hoping that maybe I'd get some other indication of life, and maybe I just had a bridge somewhere in the video, but I don't get anything other than a very, very faint glow on the LED. I've stopped building the kit at this point.

I've been poking around with my ohm-meter looking for solder bridges, but I haven't found anything. I'm not an electronics person, but this isn't my first kit.

Any thoughts?

adafruit

Re: No video/blinkenlights/etc

Post by adafruit »

post a photo of your kit top & bottom?

minimicrite

Post by minimicrite »

Here ya go :D
Attachments
P7062352.JPG
P7062352.JPG (155.44 KiB) Viewed 9768 times
P7062355.JPG
P7062355.JPG (160.71 KiB) Viewed 9767 times

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

check the power supply, are you getting 3.3V?
also, install C8 that is necessary for the buzzer

hosant

Post by hosant »

Hi, im having the same problem but i do get 3.3V from the power supply. Also, the propeller chip gets very hot after a few seconds of it being plugged in.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

post a photo of your kit top & bottom?

reubanks

Post by reubanks »

Likewise. I get 3.26v but no video. (my cheap DMM may be a little off) There is no detectable heat being generated.

I went ahead and added a few more components after the failed test to see if it would at least make a noise or light the LED. No to both. I did read that C8 was needed for the buzzer (even though the instructions say that it is only for Ethernet) but have not installed it yet. I installed the jumper (haywire) between EEPROM pin7 and VSS and that didn't change anything. (I didn't expect it to, but???)

NEVERMIND

I removed and replaced both chips to check for bent pins... Not the problem. I retested and still no joy.

I finished the build and tested again. No difference. I figured I might as well clean up and try again later, so I removed the socketed chips and cleaned the flux off of the board (I use organic core, so just some warm water and an old toothbrush) and dried everything off. I came back a couple of hours later and installed all 3 chips and decided to try again.

Bleep, blinkblink, video is working...

<thud>

OK, so maybe it doesn't like having organic flux on the board? I've never known it to cause a problem before! (Yes, I know that if I leave it on that it can cause corrosion after a while, but I have never seen it cause a board to not pass a functional test.)

So I guess from here on I will solder, clean, test and not solder, test, clean.

Randy

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

odd, but sometimes a chip isnt seated well or something (?) glad to hear its working now :)

reubanks

Post by reubanks »

adafruit wrote:odd, but sometimes a chip isnt seated well or something (?) glad to hear its working now :)
True, but I had checked, pulled, and reseated both chips and still no joy. It only worked after I cleaned off the board (after finishing the build).

Have you ever built using organic "water soluble" flux before? Like I said, I have never had a problem before, but since I am not the first person to say "It didn't work until I finished the build" then that 'MAY' be something to look at. I unfortunately have no idea what the other user was building with.

I wish I had thought to try cleaning off the flux and testing again. That would have been telling.

Randy

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

we suggest only 'no clean' solder and flux as those will not damage the PCB

reubanks

Post by reubanks »

Well yes, you shouldn't use anything except "No-Clean" solder if you don't intend to clean the flux off of the board.

I personally prefer water soluble flux as it is REALLY easy to clean up and makes for a beautiful shiny solder joint. It only corrodes IF you don't clean up after yourself. It also takes quite a while before it has a detrimental effect. (and if you don't plan on cleaning, why pay extra for the organic core solder?)

While I personally prefer this it is just that, personal preference. I have used standard rosin core as well as "no-clean" and would not use no-clean again unless there was no other option. Rosin is good for me as long as I have a supply of solvent around. I like the look of a clean board. I am just AR that way I guess.

One thing I'm sure we can agree on is to use a GOOD quality solder. Cheap off-brand solder isn't worth the effort to toss it in the recycle bin. I'm a Kester fan myself.

Thanks for offering these kits. I finally cut out an Altoids tin and have the board installed. I decided to use the Dark Chocolate Creme de Menthe tin as I liked the design. (and the taste)

Randy

rj44319

Post by rj44319 »

Organic flux is conductive.....Thats why i never use it...
a friend of mine went to town with organic flux on a PC board they were making/populating and it burnt out the WHOLE board...
NOT good stuff to work with...

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “YBox2 (discontinued)”